1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Oktoberfest '08 - Frank - Series E 50mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by Frank, Sep 28, 2008.

1. Looks like I received my first prime lens right on time for the Oktoberfest.
    It's a Series E 50mm f/1.8 from the 1980s and it cost me only a little more than the shipping from England.
    From what I've been reading here this acquisition might just be the first step on the way to the AF 85mm f/1.4 D. :smile:

I'll try to shoot and post daily.

Have lots of fun with the Oktoberfest everyone!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  2. Here goes #1.

It's a view from below a Romanesque portal that is located at the southern end of the Obradoiro square in Santiago de Compostela. So there's a statue of St. James in the foreground and the western baroque facade of the St. James cathedral in the background.
    On trying to get to know the lens I think I chose f/2.8. I shoot 12 bit losless compressed raw and pp the photos in Aperture. On this one I raised the contrast just one step, brought some light to the shadows and added a bit of sharpening. Well, it's a start. :smile:

10-1.

Thanks for looking. Please let me know what you think.

3. Frank, I like it. The fact that the huge cathedral is completely OOF in the background improves the shot of the statue. I'm also liking your composition.

4. Beautiful. My stepmother grew up there. Her father's carpentry shop was across the courtyard from this statue.

5. i like it, strong composition and i like the muted colours

6. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Great perspective, Frank. Looks like the lens handles CA quite well. Congrats.

7. Neat composition. Nice.

8. I'm just an echo by now, Frank, but that is wonderful composition....and the muted color against the mostly grey backdrop works wonderfully. Much more than a start, I would say.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  9. Sweet !!! You can almost feel the texture of the stone.

10. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Really nice perspective.

11. Hamel

Hamel

Jan 16, 2007
    Boston, MA
    I really like how this is framed. Awesome shot.

12. Thanks, Jani. Glad you like it. I think I might repeat that shot with the flash one day.

Thanks, Mr. Graceful. It's a small world, isn't it? I'll be posting lots of pics of Santiago. Here are some of the cathedral.

Thanks, Knightrider. The muted colours are representative of Santiago. Lots of old stone monuments and mostly grey skies.

Thanks, Phillip. At 100% there seems to be a slight blue fringe. As they say, it might be the D300 that helps control CA.

Thanks, Graig.

Thanks for the nice echo, Harry.

Thanks, fireman. I also think the texture is one of the stronger parts of the shot.

Thanks, Kay.

Thanks all for the kind words.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  13. Thanks, you two. Glad you like it.

14. sahlstrom

sahlstrom

Dec 6, 2007
    Sweden
    Great shot with a wonderful DoF

15. Thank you, Fredrik.

16. Here goes #2:

1/160, ISO 200 and I think f/1.8 (must start to write down the aperture - or maybe I should just leave it wide open :smile:) 
    Added a bit of contrast and a little sharpening.

10-2a.

And since I'm too tired to make up my mind here's one more:
    Looks like this one was wide open and it's only resized.

10-2.

Thanks for looking.

17. I think they're both great. You were wise not to leave either of them out.

18. lmorgan

lmorgan

Jun 27, 2008
    NCentral IL
    I love all three!!! I really like the DOF on the nuts.

19. I think I would've liked just a little more DOF in both....but that's just me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.