Oktoberfest '08 -- Martell -- 50/1.4 and 105/2.8 VR Micro

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by craig.martell, Sep 26, 2008.

1. Here's my first post for 2008 Oktoberfest. For this version of the challenge I will be using the 50/1.4 and the 105/2.8 VR.

Craig

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2008
  2. I changed the Sigma 30/1.4 to the Nikon 50/1.4.

Craig

3. I will be a pure prime pair participant. I am going to strive for a pic-a-day. But, not a pic-a-day per lens.

I really like these prime challenges. They really make you study the scene and your relationship to your subjects a lot more. Since I have both a D90 and a D700, I will have 4 combos to choose from when thinking through the composition:

1) D700 and 50/1.4 = 50mm
    2) D90 and 50/1.4 = effective FL of 75mm
    3) D700 and 105/2.8 VR = 105mm
    4) D90 and 105/2.8 VR = effective FL of 157.5mm

I think it will be most interesting to see the effective difference between 2) and 3). Maybe I will try to use 2) and 3) to take as many pairs of shots of the same subject as possible. That could bee cool.

Craig

4. That's almost cheating :wink:

5. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Craig! I'm so glad you posted your thoughts on this! I hadn't really thought about it this way as I'm new to the FX world. I have the D700 and D200 available to me...I'll keep this in mind throughout the month.

6. I thought the same thing at first. But then I thought that this is about the lenses and their properties. All bodies are allowed :cool:.

Craig

7. I look at it from another angle. It's no different than using any lens/body combo and doing a manual crop on the picture. Unless we start requiring a full size image post, we all can do a DX crop and we're all in the same playing field anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2008
  8. Guys, I wasn't serious. Waiting now for the pictures... :biggrin:

9. I think we knew that . . . :wink:. Thanks.

Craig

10. On the 'Net you never know...

Now, I'm waiting for the first shot... it's nearly 10 pm here already :tongue:

11. Should have been preparing for class . . .

. . . instead of taking shots.

Since I am using the 105/2.8 VR, I hope to be able to concentrate on close-up (although not quite macro) shots. Here's the first.

D700, 105mm, f/3, 1/125s, ISO800
    2906140506_950afe98b1_b.png

Craig

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2008
  12. Looks like something interesting to read !

Nice picture !

13. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    I like your choice of words to place as your focal point.

14. Love the use of DOF.

15. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Nice, Craig. Smooth bokeh and great subject for shallow DoF.

16. Thanks all. You know it is amazing how narrow DoF gets when you get close. This will be an interesting month for me -- not-quite-macro close-ups with appropriate DoF.

Craig

17. The glasses in the upper right corner really make this image work, IMO. Nice job!

18. I like except for the screen on top left. Agree with Rich on the glasses.

19. Nice colours, good composition, great use of dof - with the key word in focus.
    I find the light blue on the top left a little distracting, though.
    Great start.