1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Oktoberfest '08 - Mr. Graceful - Prime player (pair?) - 85mm f/1.8 (20mm f/2.8)

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by Mr. Graceful, Sep 28, 2008.

1. OK, I'm in, and this makes it official.

I'm going to try to do the whole month with my newest lens: Nikkor 85mm f/1.8. That puts me completely out of my comfort zone as I'm generally a wide shooter.

It's foliage month. That means landscapes. That's why I'm keeping the 20mm f/2.8 in reserve.

My goal will be 5 shots a week, not quite one a day. We'll see how well I hold up . . .

Bring on the BEER! (uh, I mean the primes . . . )

2. Rich - I think you'll find the 85 1.8 an extremely versatile lens....I'm also shooting it. Wish I had a 20 2.8 to go along with it....have to make do with the 35/2.

Happy shooting!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2008
  3. The 85/1.8 is one of my favorites. You'll soon notice you love it.

4. SWEET... Maybe not the best word for the items included in the shot, but a good way to discuss the photo. I copied your quote from the Oktoberfest main thread... Congrads on being first and you've started us out on the right foot. Now show us the empty...

PS... I love the way the details of the beer head show up. Very cool foam for sure.

5. That's definitely an appropriate start. Cheers!

6. sahlstrom

sahlstrom

Dec 6, 2007
    Sweden
    Great start!

7. Brilliant!

Now I'm thirsty.

8. Definitely sets the mood.

9. great product shot, i can almost feel the smooth beer sliding down my throat

10. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Wish I was back in Germany for the fest!

11. Sorry. It was late. I went to bed!

Salud!

Thanks!

Now I have an expectation to meet. Crap!

Bottom's up . . .

Well, it IS Oktoberfest, isn't it?

Thanks. This was my first "product shot." It was yummy!

Never been. Heard it's a hoot, though.

Thanks!

12. Merchants' Gate

2906604066_4fc7ce702a_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D80, 85mm f/1.8 D, 1/500 @ f/1.8, ISO 100

Guess where this is?

13. I've no idea what it is, but i like it. I'm not 100% sure about the composition though, but the DOF is great.

14. I like both shots. Great lighting on number one.
    I'm glad you've chosen that lens for the Fest.

15. Merchants' Gate is nice. Good colors, contrast. I like the composition, but think the DOF is a bit narrow.

16. KayB

KayB

Aug 17, 2007
    Puyallup, WA
    Not familiar with merchant's gate, but the shot is interesting with the narrow dof.

17. sahlstrom

sahlstrom

Dec 6, 2007
    Sweden
    I love the DoF! And great colors aswell, but i would maybe try a B&W conversion too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.