1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Oktoberfest '08 - Uncle Frank - 35/2 & 85/1.4

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by Uncle Frank, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Please excuse my tardiness. I always seem to be a day late and a dollar short :Curved:.

I'm looking forward to playing in this sandbox. I'll try to submit pictures 3-4 times a week, and though I'll be committed, due to school and business, I can't guarantee I'll be very pure :redface:. But when I'm pure, I'll stick to the 35/2 and 85/1.4.

Using this pair of primes will be no hardship. They're the ones I reach for when I have an important portrait session. I love the way the draw me into the picture, forcing me to find perspectives by zooming with my feet. Even though both lenses are fast glass, I'll probably use them with off-camera flash, which is another of my passions.

Note that none of my shots will be straight from the camera. I'm shooting in RAW these days, and using the tandem of Lightroom 2 and Photoshop CS2 to finish my snapshots.

Now I'm off to find a victim :biggrin:.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2008
  2. Waiting for the first shot Frank! Is it going to be portraits for the whole project? Sounds interesting...

3. waltny

waltny

Mar 27, 2008
    Reno, NV
    glad to see you on board Uncle Frank

4. Glad to see on board Frank!!

Craig

5. October 2

Thanks for the nice welcome, folks! Jani, I'll definitely do some portraits, but not exclusively.

My first submission features the 35/2 at product photography. I chose a bottle because glass photography is a challenge, and working with spirits is fun. You just have to guard against getting tipsy.

Next time I'll try to do something with the Cream Machine.

6. I prefer Macalan 18, myself, but it is rather expensive (and a scotch).

7. Phillip Ino

Phillip Ino

Nov 26, 2007
    Austin
    Glad to see ya on board, UF! :smile: You're makin' me thirsty over here!

8. I've tried them all, Rich, and Jameson is my drink of preference. I like their bottle, too :) .

9. Very nice lighting.
    And the inlination of the bottle reminds of the effect the product has on our walking ability.

10. lmorgan

lmorgan

Jun 27, 2008
    NCentral IL
    It's making me tipsy!!! LOL I love it and, while I'm not a whisky drinker, it is making me crave some alcohol. :cool: 

11. sahlstrom

sahlstrom

Dec 6, 2007
    Sweden
    Nice lighting and a great start! Cant wait to see what the cream machine can produce in your hands.

12. October 3

Two primes and a flash make a nice lightweight kit, so it's no problem dragging it everywhere I go. That way I can react to opportunity rather than planning for material for the Oktoberfest, which is just what happened at the gym! As I was going in the front door, a couple of friends were headed out, so I imposed on them to let me grab a quick snap or two. Mark wasn't convinced it was a good idea...

but he couldn't resist Sylvia's smile. We'll make this my entry.

View attachment 261927

In case you couldn't tell, I was using the 85/1.4, and it lived up to its nickname of Cream Machine by blurring the busy background nicely. That's what makes it so good for location portraiture.

As long as I had the rig set up, I couldn't resist taking a few shots of Al and Gail. FYI, the aperture was set at f/2 for all 3 images.

View attachment 261928

13. Fine portraits. I like the B&W the best.

14. Frank,

Nicely done. The second one is my favorite.

Craig

15. lisa_h

lisa_h

Sep 6, 2008
    New England
    Yeah, making me thirsty as well.
    Beautiful shot.

16. lr0868

lr0868

May 25, 2008
    henderson, nv
    great portraits, the first couple is so cute together...if I drive to San Jose can you teach me all about portrait lighting :) 

17. Lovely, very natural-looking lighting on those Frank. Your friends are lucky...I assume you'll gift them with some copies.

18. Hey Frank, I thought there was overcast in San Jose? Still enjoying the Indian Summer I see. Great shots.

19. Thanks, Rich. I'd like the b&w better if Mark wasn't scowling at me :eek: .

That's 2 for 2.

Thanks, Lisa. I'm guessing you're talking about the bottle.

I'll buy you lunch, and tell you everything I know, but I'm still a student myself.

Very kind of you, Harry. I'll gift them prints if they like the pictures, but the ladies weren't too happy about posing without makeup.

It was overcast, Randy, which is great for portraits. The sky was like a giant softbox!

20. Hi UF and welcome to the challenge. It is great to have one of the legends of the NikonCafe come and join us! I like your first few offerings- your friend Mark looks like an ex-rock star in the b+w portrait with a healthy dislike for photographers......... definitely my pick of the bunch!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.