Oktoberfest 2017 - pre-challenge discussion and registration thread

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by Gordo, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Ladies and gents - do we have enough interest for an Oktoberfest this year? I certainly hope so, it would be a shame to see the challenge fade away into obscurity.

Thoughts? Questions?

Current list of participants:

Gordo (Gordon) - Casual - K-1 + 43/1.9 Ltd + 200/2.8

kilofoxtrott (Klaus) - Hardcore - D700 + 135/2DC

Harry Lavo (Harry) - Casual - D600 + 35mm f/2 AI-S + Vivitar 105mm f/2.8 AI Macro

Phil K (Phil) - Hardcore - Hasselblad X1D + 45mm/3.5

NaptownSailor (Jacques Louis) - Casual - D800 + 85/1.4D + 200/2VR

Fallys (Scott) - Hardcore - D500 + 50/1.8

lmatney (Larry) - Casual - D800E + AF‑S Micro‑Nikkor 105/2.8G, AF-S Nikkor 300/4D

skidoo - Casual - D810 + 200mm F4D micro + 60mm F2.8D micro

NEF Said (Paul) - Hardcore - D700 + 105mm f2.5 MF

Pawl - Casual - D750 + 20mm + 105mm

pirahnah3 (Jim) - Casual - D300 + 85 1.4

les_au (Les) - Casual - D7100 + 28/2.8 ais E + 105/1.8 ais

greyflash (Gordon) - Casual - D2h + Nikkor 85mm f1.4 D + Micro Nikkor 105mm f2.8 D

djh63 (David) - Casual - D700 + Nikkor 105/2.8 AF Micro

Kry27 (Roland) - Hardcore - Sony alpha 7 + Voigtländer 35mm f/1.2 aspherical

Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  2. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    Thanks for bringing this up Gordon. It has been a while since I joined in so it is probably time for me to do it again. Let me think about what I want to do.

3. I'm not sure if I can find interesting things to post everyday but I want to try.

4. For those of us ignorant about the what/how of Okotberfest, could you provide a short description, please.

5. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Larry, Phil - hope you can join in!

Nick, Oktoberfest is a friendly prime lens challenge running the month of October. Goal is to post an image each day if possible, and view and comment on the other participant's photos. There have been 2 or 3 levels of participation the years I have been following. One is a more hardcore level - pick one prime lens on one camera and shoot with only that combo for the month. One or two less formal levels, with one or two primes, but you can shoot with other gear for other reasons, but only post images with your chosen combo to the O'fest thread.

6. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Gordon, I'll be with you.

Thank you for the reminder
    Klaus

7. Many thanks for getting the ball rolling, Gordon. As much as I would like to join in, I am recovering from a knee operation and will be on crutches for the next couple of months. Getting around with a camera is not advisable at the moment.

Good luck to you all - I hope that there are a large number of players and I will certainly try to come back and check out the work.

8. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Klaus - thanks!

David - best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!

9. I may have to crawl out from under my rock and do this again this year......assuming I can find things to shoot.....

10. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Hi David,

I wish you a quick and complete recovery.
    Why not photographing? You carry 2 monopods with you... :cool::):D

All the best
    Klaus

11. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Paul - hope you can join in the fun.

12. Great to see this here, Gordo. I was just thinking of it as I drove around today doing erronds. I look, and behold, there you are. Definitely count me in!

13. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks Harry - good to have you along!

14. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    OK - so far the count is 3 "in", and 3 possible. As we get closer, those of us participating will need to declare participation level, and gear choice.

I'll make a thread in General this evening or tomorrow and see if anyone else may be interested.

Hosting - as long as the 'fest stays small, I won't have any problems hosting this year. If we end up with a large number of participants, I'll have to ask if someone can co-host.

As for the rules, I propose...

• Ocktoberfest runs from 1 Oct 2017 until 31 Oct 2017, your local time.
    • 2 levels this year - hardcore and casual. Hardcore would be with one prime lens and one camera, only, for the month, 31 images. Casual would be one or two prime lenses and one camera for the month, as close to 31 images as possible, and you can use other lenses if you need to for projects outside of Oktoberfest.
    • Lens modifiers (tele-converters, extension tubes, close-up lenses, etc...) are allowed.
    • Flash/ strobe/ other lighting is allowed.
    • Make your declaration of participation level and gear choice in this thread. Non-Nikon photo gear is allowed. Changes can be made prior to the start of Oktobefest. Once declarations are made, I'll post the list in the first post of this thread, and update it as it changes.
    • Each participant will make a thread for their photos for the month. Title as Oktoberfest 2017 - Username - Camera + Lens(es) - Day X. Update the day number in your thread title each day you post an image. If you wish for critique of your photos, please make sure to check the icon for the thread title so others are aware.
    • Photos should be posted the day taken. Occasional late postings are OK, but try to minimize.
    • If someone is going to shoot film for the 'fest, bring it up as soon as possible so we can discuss how we're going to work it.
    • Others will be making the time to view and comment on your photos, please take the time to view and comment in the other participant's threads.
    • There are no awards, no prizes, no placement.
    • And finally - even though this is a challenge, please have fun while you're doing it.

We will have a "Bucket" thread again this year, feel free to post alternate processing or different views or images you felt didn't make the cut to be your "one" image for the day.

Please post any feedback for the proposed rules, and we can discuss them as a group.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. lmatney

lmatney

Oct 25, 2007
    Goodyear, AZ
    The rules look good Gordon. Two questions:

1. Are lens modifiers allowed? I am thinking of extension tubes, closeup modifier lens, and extension tubes?

2. For the Casual classification can I use a second camera body for projects outside of Oktoberfest?

Thanks for taking the lead this year.

16. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Thanks Larry.

1. Yes. I forgot to list that, I'll make changes above.

2. We have in the past, let's see how the group wants to do this. I wouldn't have an issue with it.

17. I’m in. I know it’s not easy for me, but I want the push to keep me shooting and posting.

Hardcore - Hasselblad X1D + 45mm/3.5.

18. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Texas
    Hi Phil - will add you to the list! Cool choice on gear - how are you liking that setup so far?

19. It’s very good, easy to operate once you get used to it, and without VR, I have to get back to the old school camera holding technique especially at low shutter speed. The detail in the images is amazing.