1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Critique Oktoberfest 2018 - djh63 - D700 + 28/2.8E Day 14

Discussion in 'Photo Meme' started by djh63, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Just hoping to sneak in under the wire and I'm looking forward to doing some more shooting this month. Good luck to all of our other players, and most importantly... have fun!

• Like Like x 1
  2. I

_DSC8189.
    NIKON D700    0.0 mm f/0.0    28mm    f/16.0    1/45s    ISO 200

• Like Like x 1
  3. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    LOL - David, I expected a square image for some reason and was a bit surprised to have to keep scrolling down. :cool: 

Beautiful river scene. I like how the locks throw in some foreground interest to the railing.

4. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    It seems like a two-fer. The top is a nice bridge scene and the bottom with details of the locks. The railing makes for an interesting separator (I too though initially it was a square shot and then realized there was more below. :)  )

5. Good eye--at first I thought it was two separate pictures.

6. Hi David. Nice composition. There's so much white there I'd like to see a BW version.

7. I like seeing scenes of your hometown. You asked for critique: I would crop just slightly from the top so that the space above the buildings matches that between the bridge rail in the foreground and the next bridge.

Interesting composition.

8. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    Got the same experience like Nick - "Oh, two pictures"...

It a very surprisingly shot.

Well done
    Klaus

9. Thanks Gordon. Have no fear, there will be square images to come!

Thank you Paul.

Thanks Nick!

Thank you sir. I will endeavour to post a b/w version in a bucket thread.

Thanks Jim. Great to have you playing along this month. I'll try to make the crop which you have suggested and add it to a bucket.

Thanks Klaus. The first shot of any challenge is the most difficult - at least I have that one behind me now!

10. II

_DSC8192.
    NIKON D700    0.0 mm f/0.0    28mm    f/8.0    1/15s    ISO 800

• Like Like x 2
  11. NEF Said

NEF Said

Aug 22, 2009
    NH, USA
    Nicely done... tells a story with the signage and perspective. 1/15 sec...pretty steady shot!

12. Day 1 - the locks did the trick and it's a very nice contrast with the bridge further away.

Day 2 - Very nice composition. As Paul said, tells a story.

13. Nice, for all the reason's stated, David. What is the symbolism of the locks .... or are they there for some practical purpose?

14. kilofoxtrott

kilofoxtrott European Ambassador Moderator

Dec 29, 2011
    Tettnang, Germany
    I love the Swiss railways... (y)(y)(y)

Great picture
    Klaus

15. Nice to see another "E" here, David. I don't own the 28mm ... can't argue with its sharpness at f/8. Did you use a tripod, or a monopod?

16. Gordo

Gordo

Feb 4, 2011
    Arizona
    Neat environmental, wonderful colors. Steady hands (handheld?).

17. October weather in ZH... :/ not so much warmth, so far. You've got to deal with it, and did well, so. I can see then thinking, time and effort that went into that composition.

18. Nice sports jacket for fall, goes well with the brown tone, and picks up the shirt's blue with the over-check. Gentleman's got style.

19. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Both images are very, very nice - well done, there!

20. Thanks Paul

Thank you Phil

Thanks Harry. The "thing" with the locks started a few years back - couples will write their names on a padlock and attach it to a bridge or a building with a view to it becoming something "permanent".

Don't we all?! Thanks Klaus.

I shot Oktoberfest with this one quite a few years back Harry and it does a good job for a relatively inexpensive lens. No support other than my elbow resting on the window sill.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.