Old Army comm truck (Radar)

This is on display at the National Electronics Museum near BWI Airport.

5500982666_eb0bc2fbfd_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:

PGB

This is really cool. I love comm trucks and anything radio. Growing up in the broadcasting industry and part of my adult life I've always had a special place in my heart for RF.

Thanks for sharing!

I know what you mean about RF. My favorites are always the old RF tubes. Nothing beats the purple glow of old glassware. The National Electronics Museum was definitely an interesting place for this stuff. Would have loved to been able to touch the tubes, but understand why they are behind glass.

5500982342_1c4453b5eb_b.jpg

Here's an interesting antenna, the Pave Mover Antenna Array. How would you like to tighten all those SMA connectors?

5500982780_f272f29c35_b.jpg

PGB

Whew! That is a lot of SMA's. Okay, so Pave means its an Airforce system. With all those SMA's i'm thinking some sort of radar or guidance system. Whats the Mover designation for?

I have a pretty good collection of old tubes. I have a few of the glass ones all polished up and on display. I'll have to snap a few pics.

Thanks for sharing,

The Pave Mover program was the forerunner of today's widely used GMTI targeting radar programs, and was the technology demonstration for the E-8A JSTARS. This demonstrator radar was flown in the weapon bay of an F-111E during the early 1980s

http://www.ausairpower.net/TE-Assault-Breaker.html

Bob has a great informative link as well.

You are very lucky to have a collection of old tubes. Please post some images of them as a lot of people will find them very interesting. I am always amazed at what they did back in the day before solid state technology. The old Jennings vacuum variable caps were a work of art.

Here is an interesting piece of glass, it is a Crookes Tube. This was shot through a glass display case.

5500982856_02b1eca526_b.jpg

And here is what the AWACS array looks like without its dome. This thing is huge. How would you like to have cut all those vertical slots in the waveguide?

5500387477_f714311307_b.jpg

Patrick, I think this is a mobile radar from WWII. It looks like an SCR-584.
Still used radio waves though:smile:.

Thanks! Good catch. I searched Google and you are right. This is the only display I forgot to take a pic of the info placard.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom