old barn caught in spider web

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by dmwphoto, Sep 17, 2005.

1. there is something about this photo that keeps me from sending it to the recycle bin, but I am not sure what. here are 2 versions. any comments r should I toss it?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2005
  2. The sepia is not my kind of picture - the color one I do like - nice composition - a barn caught in a spiderweb.

Thanks for sharing.

3. thanks for your input. Barn caught in a spyder web.... neat caption!

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats great Dave,

NO NO trash bin.

Try a crop on left side :>))

Great image and placement is amazing.

Just isolate your subject. Barn in Spider web

Ps ...After shooting a web once, I realize how hard it is to get them in focus, with the light :>))))

5. Oh, I would be proud of this one. I would try a tighter crop as suggested by Gale. Perhaps a little work in PS to aleviate the hot spot in the UR corner. It is worth the time to refine it.

6. Very good composition, Dave. Besides the crop and the hot spot aleviation as suggested by Gale and Christian, I will also darken a little bit the sky behind the UR portion of the web to make it standing out more. Congrats for a very nice work.

7. Of course you don't want to send this to the trash bin. The images are wonderful and tell a story as well. Lovely.

8. I like them both, very good compositions.

9. biggstr6

biggstr6

Apr 26, 2005
    Richmond,Va
    Thats nice Dave . Definetly keep it & play with it .

Might try A crop from the top , Emphasize the flowers and foreground, eliminate the wires etc... ,and darken the sky alittle.

10. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Not keen on the sepia one, but I love the colored version as is.

Neil

11. Why not try a vertical/portrait crop? I wouldn't trash this, for sure. You captured the web perfectly and the subdued colors make the image as well. I don't care too much about the sepia version, however.

12. I like the first one very much, with the blue color in the flowers. However I like the sun filled sky of the 2nd one. Why not try combining the upper and lower colors between these two? A crop may help to focus the web on the barn, but I think your foreground adds a depth and perspective to the entire scene, and the nice blue of the flowers provides a subtly comfortable sense to the whole image. You might have a little work to do before arriving at your masterpeice, but you could arrive at a very publishable photograph.

13. i would keep that first shot.

14. Great photo, but it's really difficult to decide. On one hand the flower on the left adds depth, on the other hand it distracts from the actual subject. I wouldn't know what to do. I think it depends on individual taste. And, yes, I also prefer the color version.
    Cheers

15. A lot of great feedback and ideas. Thanks for all of your help. I will n ow work more with the image and see what I can do with it.

16. I prefer the color one. Nice composition!
    Rich

17. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Dave,
    The first one is wonderful....I love the blue flowers (which are lost in the sepia) and how they seem to "dot to dot" my eyes to the spider web which in turn leads me to the barn. Definitely DO NOT TOSS THIS ONE!!! :smile:

18. sfoxjohn

sfoxjohn

May 1, 2005
    Marlton, NJ
    Dave, like most of the others who replied, I much prefer the color version.

But I have to disagree with some of the cropping suggestions. It's probably because I shot for so many years in 6x6 film, but sometimes the picture lends itself to the square format and I think this is definitely one of those times. If you crop out the left you lose an important ingredient - the blue flower. I notice what looks like a wire in the upper left. I scrolled down until it was just cropped out and the spider web was still all there. On the other hand you could just clone the wire out. I do agree that the upper right needs a little toning down. But this is a great picture and I wish I had taken it.

19. Angelo

Angelo

Sep 19, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    Dave - I think this is a very interesting shot. I prefer the color version.

To my eye, I might crop a bit tighter to the spider web, losing some sky above and foliage below, as well as crop out the left flower stalk in the foreground; it demands too much attention.

Nice job.

20. I am on dialup and often I don't have the time to wait for the larger files to download. This time I am so glad I did. I am not fond of sepia or black and white, even if the quality is very good like your sepia shot. The coloured shot I think is fantastic. I just cannot imagine why you wondered if you should keep it. If I had a shot as good as that first one it would be enlarged, framed and put in a place of honour.