Old Buddhist temple pictures

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Hash, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Hash

Hash

Aug 11, 2008
    Asia
    I am not very experienced photographer. These are pictures of old buddhist monastery I shot on vacation by Nikon D60 and its surroundings

2753756574_99e4e7c8a1_b.

2752873521_a462cc94d3_b.

2753706638_8d99a21350_b.

2753706384_663aa041cf_b.

2753388995_a4fc9b1b42_b.

comments and advises are most welcome!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  2. ghursh

ghursh

Jul 3, 2007
    Gilbert, AZ
    very nice...

3. jadlh

jadlh

Mar 6, 2008
    USA, Michigan
    Nice photos

The first and last pics are my favorites

4. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Nice pictures. The last would benefit from including the "tips" of the templeroof.
    Thanks for sharing.

5. mood

mood

Jun 27, 2007
    suburbia, ny
    I like #3 most
    the first two especially seem to have some color issues, example the sky in #2

nice job

6. Hash

Hash

Aug 11, 2008
    Asia
    hi all, thanks for great comments!
    It was very hot and sunny day, maybe thats why it looks too bright.

7. ArtO

ArtO

Jun 14, 2008
    Florida
    Very nice. The temple is beautiful.

8. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Great shots!

Keep posting!

9. Hash

Hash

Aug 11, 2008
    Asia
    Thanks a lot to everyone. Here are some more shots of the place and another monastery:

2753389439_be0ae24a95_b.
    2754219952_3964307a4c_b.
    2754219512_33208faa1b_b.
    2753388795_fd6454ab77_b.
    2754217680_1d2c2e78cd_b.

10. You got some nice shots in this series. What is evident to me is the hard lighting you had to work with. Like Frank, I also see some color issues and some exposure issues but in general you did very well.
    When confronted with subjects like these, a polarizer is of great help. Besides darkening the sky some glare is reduced or eliminated to help the dynamic range of the scene. No. 4 is a good example of the great dynamic range that the sensor cannot deal with. The floor is badly overexposed while you kept nice detail in the shadow areas.
    The last picture posted in the second set is more in tone with what you really want. The tonalities are far better than in your other photographs and it makes the picture much more pleasant to look at. Great job at this one!
    As you continue to photograph you will become more aware of the light increasing your opportunities for more beautiful work. Right now, for your level of expertise, you are doing very well. Whenever possible, photograph in the soft light of early morning or late afternoon.
    Do not forget to use a tripod. It certainly helps with sharpness.
    William Rodriguez
    Miami, Florida.

11. Vienna Pics

Vienna Pics

Nov 14, 2005
    Virgnia
    Hash, We are unaware of your post processing experience - that being said, I would suggest getting Jay's book on NX2 - I presume you are using NX2. Jay also has a NX book as well - both are electronic. Again, not know your equipment, if you are not shooting RAW, I would suggest switching to RAW as you have much more PP capabilties that jpegs.

No mater what, keep asking questions, this is a very friendly helpful forum and people will offer advise/help when asked. Your subjects are really great - I would suggest shooting early morning and sunset to help reduce the harsh sunlight that we all have to deal with. Please post some more shots.

12. Hash

Hash

Aug 11, 2008
    Asia
    Dear camerapapi and Vienna Pics,
    thanks for great advise and comments! You are absolutely right. Under the very bright sun (it happened that I could not be there in other time) it felt exactly like this, very sunny, almost like blinding. I see now clearly the shortcomings. As for software, I am not using NX; I use Nikon transfer to download pictures and then post process in Photoshop or Picasa. I will definitely switch to RAW next time, since I was shooting in JPEG and now I see the need to process RAW rather than JPEG. I will try to do better next time!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.