Critique Old Car City USA

Discussion in 'Transportation' started by metalmonkey47, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Here are a few pictures of my adventures to Old Car City in Georgia. It's an old dealership turned junkyard/art attraction. A few thousand cars in the woods dated from the 1930's to the 1980's. I rented a Sigma 35mm 1.4 for the weekend to play with, and play a bit with DOF.

Please feel free to CC.

1: [​IMG]_DSC2490.jpg by Matt Yates, on Flickr

2: [​IMG]_DSC2637.jpg by Matt Yates, on Flickr

3: [​IMG]_DSC2630.jpg by Matt Yates, on Flickr

4: [​IMG]_DSC2609.jpg by Matt Yates, on Flickr

5: [​IMG]_DSC2608.jpg by Matt Yates, on Flickr

6: [​IMG]_DSC2594.jpg by Matt Yates, on Flickr

7: [​IMG]_DSC2585.jpg by Matt Yates, on Flickr

8: [​IMG]_DSC2577.jpg by Matt Yates, on Flickr

9: [​IMG]_DSC2526.jpg by Matt Yates, on Flickr

10: [​IMG]_DSC2475.jpg by Matt Yates, on Flickr

• Like Like x 2
  2. Nice "Junk" that a lot of people would like to own

3. Excellent. I hope to get there someday.

4. JusPlainCrayzee

JusPlainCrayzee Administrator Administrator

Been there twice and it's an incredible place. You took some really good images there, Matt. How was the weather when you went and were there lots of mosquitoes?

5. Thanks! It was pretty cloudy and cold as crap so I didn't have any bugs to deal with. It was up around the 50's by noon if I remember correctly. I'm sure the mosquitoes and spiders are coming out now.

6. These all seem a bit flat - and that removes a good deal of interest and punch.
    For me the real problem is that they are copies of almost every shot I've seen in any auto graveyard.

Sorry,

upload_2017-4-17_18-45-16.

7. Ray Vonn

Ray Vonn

Feb 27, 2016
    It is obvious from the composition, focusing, cropping and clarity of these images that they are not run of the mill snap shots and that definitely shows, they're really good. I particularly like the cinematic ones you've done.

8. Thanks for the feedback guys. I did focus a fair bit more on composition here than I usually do. (Helps that I was using a lens that was new to me as well.) I'm actually a lot hapier with the composition here than my usual pictures.

As far as them seeming a bit flat that made me go back and take another look, and I agree the vast majority are lacking a bit of vibrance and the colors are...well...mute. I've spent an hour or so reworking some of these that should eventually update above.

For those interested...here's the full album

Old Car City

9. This is an interesting definition of good that any photo that is reasonably well composed, exposed and in-focus is by definition a good photo.
    I don't happen to believe that. That takes photography our of the realm of art and makes it rather mechanical.

10. Super photo's. Sad to see some of those beautiful cars turning to rust.

11. While I could agree to a small degree, your view point would say that the first well composed, focused and exposed picture of anything is the only good picture of it, and that there is no room for individual discovery.

12. menbrial

menbrial

Apr 30, 2006
    colorado
    To photography old cars like those ( and i do a lot of them , i like rust ) you need to have good light , if the right light is not there your pictures will be flat ....go there , for exemple , before sunrise and you will be surprised ....
    Photography is all about light no matter what your taking picture off

13. I wouldn't concatenate things quite that way. Good photos often are 'well composed, focused and exposed' but they also have insight and originality, bringing something new that makes them different from previous shots of similar content.

14. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Images are no longer showing up....?

15. Sorry I re-published on flickr via lightroom and it stripped the links You can click on them and pull it up in flickr, I need to go back and fix the links when i'm not busy later.

16. crashton

crashton

Apr 11, 2010
    Ohio USA
    For a minute I thought they'd rusted away. I love crusty old metal things.