Old Coal Mine (UNESCO world heritage)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Digimule, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Last Sunday my wife and I visited the "Zeche Zollverein" coal mine in Essen, since 2001 a part of the Unesco world heritage.

This is from the Unesco webpage:
    "The Zollverein industrial complex in Land Nordrhein-Westfalen consists of the complete infrastructure of a historical coal-mining site, with some 20th-century buildings of outstanding architectural merit. It constitutes remarkable material evidence of the evolution and decline of an essential industry over the past 150 years."

Here's an english page with information and pictures:
    http://www.zollverein.de/index.php?f_categoryId=3&f_menu1=3&lang=en

A great place to visit and to shoot, don't miss it when you visit Germany's Ruhr area! Here are some pics, shot quickly during a guided tour (I was the only photographer...), without tripod.
    Andreas

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2007
  2. Great eye. I especially like #'s 2 and 4

3. I have been round the mine and can second Digimule's recommendation. Some good work which manages to bring back the atmosphere of the place.

Ronnie

4. Great shots, Andreas!

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    That third picture reminds me of my Grandpas workshop back in the 40's
    Wow spooky

6. SCRacer

SCRacer

Apr 12, 2006
    Iowa
    Those are awesome. I love the second one.

7. DoorMan

DoorMan Guest

Nice images Andreas. I like #2 the best.

8. Very nice and I would also say you have a good eye. The 3rd shot is a beauty.

Louie

9. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Nice work. Very Aperture like.