Old equipment?????? Is the grass really greener?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Terri French, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I thought it would be fun if we shared photos that we love that aren't taken with the latest and greatest.

I'll start......

Yesterday I helped take a group of 25 girls to day camp. I wanted to be able to take some photos to make into a slide show DVD for the girls. I was dreading carrying around my heavy D200 and 17-55 plus sb800 all day. So, I got out the old D70 with 18-70 kit lens and onboard flash. I thought, "I hope these photos turn out ok, using this OLD, non professional equipment.

The D70 was so light to carry around all day. But, I was still a bit worried whether or not the photos would be disappointing to me. Boy was I surprised when I got home. I think I will be taking the D70 more often.........

Sometimes I get too worried about having the latest and greatest.

After very quick PP here are a few that made me feel happy. I never did think....."If only I had taken the D200". Maybe I'll think about getting one of those little D40s.

Of course, WB is not very consistent with these. I didn't want to take the effort to stress over it much. These are just for a little slide show for some 8-9 year olds to watch.

original.

View attachment 101725

View attachment 101726

View attachment 101727

View attachment 101728

View attachment 101729

View attachment 101730

2. ffemt128

ffemt128 Guest

Looks like a good time was had by all. I can't relate to the difference in bodies since all I have is the D50, but for me it takes acceptable pictures, better than the old P&S I had.

3. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    I bet you have a great time with that D50 and the 18-200 VR. Should make for an awesome combination to take everywhere.

4. Terri, these are great.

I remember the awe I had when I got my first DSLR, the D70 with that same lens. I thought the pictures were incredibly sharp and vibrant.

You know what? They still are. That combo can still take some great photos. You reminded me of that today.

5. Good idea!

O.k., lets go back a bit further.

A foggy morning on Emei Shan, Sichuan, China (1993)
    FM2 and 28-85 F/3.5-4.5

original.

10 years earlier.
    My favorite model in those days (1983)
    Camera: Konica; lens: can't even remember.

original.

original.

original.

I have a few more favorites of the early days but have to find and upload them to pbase first.

Cheers

6. Terri,

pictures are just fine. Another proof that equipment doesn't matter. I hope you enjoyed it as much as your models. :)

7. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    My early days don't go back that far..... These are beautiful. Hope to see some more of your favorites.

8. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    So...... get it out and take some photos.:biggrin:

9. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho

I don't know if I enjoyed it as much as the kids... I did enjoy watching them have fun.

10. Terri,
    You crack me up. When I want to take a light setup, I leave my D2X at home and grab my D200, 28-70mm, SB800 combo!!

I guess that traveling light is a relative thing!

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well i sure miss my CP5000..took good pics
    I loaned it to someone with no camera.
    Miss a P&S alot of times. Used to carry in purse.

Nice pics folks

12. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yep Miss mine tooo Gale! and with the WE-68 adapter had the best 19mm P&S in the world, but as we all know it was a great fully featured camera that cost $1200 when first new! Yikes!

here two from my parents in April with the canon 710IS 7MP, all of $250 dollars now, paid 300 4 months ago, They took the shot, I cropped and processed their snapshots, they were stunned they took these! lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Wade

13. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Terri,

*Wonderful compositions
    *Playful expressions
    *Perfect post processing

You have such a good eye and that is what separates you from other photographers.

You could make a disposable camera look good.

Regards

RFC

14. Terri,

Your shots are GORGEOUS! :biggrin: I guarantee you that if you posted those without EXIF, no one would know the quality of camera or lens that you had used. You are technically proficient and artistically gifted: that's a combo that can't be beat! :smile:

I still have my D70 (for use as a 2nd body, or a back-up, or for hubby's travelling camera) and recently picked up the 18-70. I haven't had too much time to play with the lens yet, but the little I've seen of it, I like. :smile:

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Excellent Wade

16. Terri French

Terri French

May 5, 2005
    Idaho
    Wade,
    I bet your parents were thrilled. My boss uses a Canon P&S at work. I'm often amazed at the quality of photos he gets with it. (I put his photos in the appraisals, so I see them all!)

17. Another example of the importance of who's behind the equipment that matters. These are great Terri. I'm sure the girls loved them.

18. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Heh, this amuses me a bit. Most of the photos in my gallery are on my D50 and 18-55. :biggrin:

Although I can relate, I dug up my old P&S a few weekends ago and was shooting with it. The images were decent quality! Sometimes it's easy to forget what I was able to do with that thing.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  19. .
    Terri, great photos; yep it's fun to gather up the "over-the-hill" cameras that have been cast aside by most of the guys, and still get fantastic pix. I have been on a quest for several months now to get the "old stuff " and I find it actually more fun - what could be better than getting a $5000 camera for $300 and getting a memorable shot of your neighbor showing the love of his pal, the pup?
    .[​IMG]

20. You folks are making me feel quite antiquated. For me, my D70 is still the latest and greatest; and, I have no plans of replacing it, anytime soon.

As was said, this helps point out how little the camera has to do with the final result. Tommorow night, I will be going to an awards reception for a regional photo contest (only open to the residents of 2 states). There are numerous entries from pros, with their D2X's, etc. However, first place was taken by a friend of mine, who is still shooting with a 3mp P&S, that he has owned for a number of years. Though he is quite a talented photographer, he does not want to give up the convenience of having a camera that will fit in his pocket.