Old Faithful after dark.

Discussion in 'Night, InfraRed, and UltraViolet Photography' started by bsinc1962, Feb 11, 2018.

1. It really does run all night. Lol
    February 8th 2018
    OF MW 1.jpg

• Like Like x 9
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    WOW!!! What a creative image of a often-photographed event! Excellent job on composition and exposure and processing!

3. Thanks. I lucked out and only had to wait about 15 minutes which was great because it was plenty cold out.

4. Great shot and concept.

5. rick_reno

rick_reno

Dec 3, 2012
    N Idaho
    It looks cold. Very nice, never seen one of these after dark

6. That's a new one for me. Very nice!

7. Thanks all. Funny thing is that I wanted to get the faint Milky Way a bit to the left of the geyser but it's so dark that you really don't know exactly where the geyser exits the ground. It only goes off for about a minute so it's not like you can reposition yourself and I sure as heck wasn't going to hang around another 90 minutes when it's 0 degrees f out.

8. What a lovely shot! It is a perfect capture!

cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

" that is what I love about the café one can see the sights of the world without leaving the couch" - Georgie Beagle

9. Randy

Randy

May 11, 2006
    extraordinary image

10. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Good thought on your part. What was the shutter speed?

11. D810 20mm f/1.8
    20 seconds @iso 2500

12. Allan

Allan

Apr 21, 2006
    Nashua, NH
    Thanks!

13. Ann_JS

Ann_JS

Feb 18, 2015
    New York State
    I am intrigued by the lighting on the plume in your brilliant Photograph: do the NP authorities floodlight it or did you have off-camera lighting of your own to sidelght it?

Altogther a splendid and dramatic balance between the star-lit sky, the dim outlines of distant hills and the brightly-lit geyser itself.

14. TANG0F0XTR0T

TANG0F0XTR0T

Jun 4, 2008
    UK
    Great shot.

15. It was pitch black. I think the steam from the eruption has just enough ambiant light to it. No additional lighting from me.

16. Great shot - I've found that one of the biggest challenges to shooting O.F. at night are the cars who pull up at the edge of the parking lot and cast their headlights towards the boardwalk so they can walk around. I had to wait until almost midnight to get exposures that weren't lightpainted by high beams.

Sean

17. Not an issue in February.

18. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    Incredible!

19. very special image, I thought they turn it off at night :rolleyes:, yep you earned that shot.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.