Old Filters Boon or Bust

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by taurus, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Today, UPS delivered my 50/1.8. When I looked at the 52mm filter size, I realized that I had a large collection of pristine 52mm high quality filters in with my 30 year collection of non–Nikon but made in Japan, film cameras. The threads fit perfectly.

Is any reason not to use the filters on the 50/1.8.-D300

There also is a 52mm Vivitar collapsible rubber lens hood (I forgot to order the Nikon one) and a Hoya +1, +2 and +3 close up filter set (which close up set I would use just to see what it does on the D300.

Is this a boon or a bust.

Thanks

2. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    Boon, except any polarizers will likely be linear rather than circular and may fool your meter on the digital camera into mis-exposure. Hey, digital is essentially free to shoot (except for time) so get em out, experiment, and have a ball!

3. Thanks Michael. That was the answer I hoped for. I was a bit apprehensive that these older filters might damage the sensor or be a problem mechanically. I did not think so and your reassurance is much appreciated.

4. I have a Hoya set of close up filters that I bought in the 80's as well as a red and yellow Nikon 52mm filter. I have used them all on my 50mm 1.8, no problems.

5. Thanks Jim, I genuinely appreciate the info. I really try to be careful with my gear and ask first, use later. After looking, for the first time in ages, at my older, all metal lenses and accessories I feel a little nostalgic. But I would not want to go back and I embrace with fervor, the flexibility and creative possibilities of the digital world even if it is often plastic.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.