Old Iron

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Holmes, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I'm trying to learn the B&W conversion process and I'd appreciate any comments regarding this image. I used one of Scott Kelby's techniques in CS2 for this conversion. Capture was with a D80, 35-70/2.8, and ISO 800.

Feel free to be brutal as thats often the only way I get new tricks through my thick skull!

Thank you.

DSC_0008BW.

2. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    ISO 800? Seems awfully high for such an apparently bright day.

Conversion looks pretty good but I don't like the blown areas on the left and top center.
    Great piece of machinery though.

3. I liike the composition very much Holmes. My preference is for a little less bright and more contrast to bring out more details.

4. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    A different approach...

Thank you for the comments, guys.

Kevin, the sun was nearly down when I shot this. The appearance of a bright scene is simply.... well, simply a rookie floundering about with levels!

Thanks, Douglas. The implement is part of the decor in a large naturalistic yard where I was doing a dog portrait session. I spotted it as I was wrapping up and decided to try some creativity. Fortunately, I'm much better with dogs!

Here's a my second effort.

DSC_0008BW-2.

5. I like this much better :biggrin:

My eyes are still drawn to the bright lower left corner. Not sure what PP software you have, but can you lasso that area and darken it up just a hair? It really is a very nice shot as is too.

6. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    I have NX and CS2, used the latter to do this image.

And, now its time for me to learn how to use the lasso tool!

7. kwork

kwork

Jun 8, 2006
    NC
    Love it!

8. The second version looks great. My eyes would not have been drawn down to the lower left if someone hadn't mentioned that. It looks like you are getting a handle on you B&W conversion techniques.