Old lens meets new camera

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
As an experiment I used my old 28mm PC on my new Z7 via the FTZ adaptor first for some external shots and then for some internals at F5.6. A beaten up €200 Ebay bargain meets my shiny new Z7

I carefully used the in camera level to get the camera perfectly level and hoped at least for the inside shots that IBIS would do its job. I was surprised how well it worked even down to 1/20sec.

Part of the reason for getting the Z7 was to use my perspective control lenses with some IBIS stabilisation on interior shots where I cannot use a tripod. I proved to myself again here that judging framing and the areas that you will lose in post keystone correction is very difficult. The stabilization was not Olympus 5 stop IBIS but more than sufficient. Even at 5.6 the old 28PC is sharp enough.

The other shots were taken with my 3 Z lenses: 14-30 24-70 and 24-200

We are at the late Romanic, early Gothic Basilica dei Fieschi and the Baroque "Duomo" both in Lavagna ,Liguria, just along the coast from the Cinque Terre.

DSC_2009_DxOsmall.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1 - 28PC
DSC_2003_DxOsmall.jpg

2- 28PC

DSC_2038_DxOsmall.jpg

3- 14-30

DSC_2060_DxOsmall.jpg

4 - 24-200

DSC_2073_DxOsmall.jpg

5 24-200

DSC_2172_DxOsmall.jpg

6- 28PC

DSC_2140_DxOsmall.jpg

7 -28 PC

DSC_2149_DxOsmall.jpg

8- 28 PC

DSC_2100_DxOsmall.jpg

9 -14-30
DSC_2093_DxOsmall.jpg

DSC_2127_DxOsmall.jpg

12 - 14-30

Last edited:

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Great results from this old gem.
For me there is no reason why new lenses should be better than the old ones.

Kind regards
Klaus

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These look really good, Nigel. The old lens appears to stand up well against the newer ones.

How do you like the 24-200?
Thanks.

I am very happy with the 24-200 even though I still have some easily fixed PP issues that are nothing to do with the lens but the lack of DXO support.

I have just returned from a short holiday in Liguria with my wife. Basically a beach holiday. When we were wandering around together it was great to have just this lens. It avoided all those lens changes that seem to upset non photographer spouses. The lens range covers 99% of things that I photograph when I am doing the "tourist".

The image quality is more than fine to me, but that is my opinion, others might be more demanding.

I will make a thread about this lens soon, with some expanded thoughts about this lens.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel

Kind regards
Klaus
Thanks.

Yes, these old lenses still make very nice images and have qualities that make them special.

Real Name
Paul
Lovely shots indeed.

Quick question... did you add the focal length and aperture to the 28mm shots in post processing ? If not, how are you getting it into the file on the camera? I've set the Non-CPU lens data up, but nothing is going into the EXIF. Is there a trick to be done?

Real Name
Ken St John
Great series. I used to LOVE to put some old glass I had on my D750!! To me, there's just "something" intangible about the older glass that's missing from the newer, "digital" glass. I read somewhere that it might be the lead that was in the older glass ... but I certainly cannot attest to that. I just know that it always looked "better" to me.

Ken

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
There is absolutely nothing wrong with these images, on the contrary, they are sharp, colorful straight, well composed, etc. There is a treasure trove of older Nikon F lenses, that with Ibis, becomes even better. Well done!
Thank you.

Yes, you are right using a camera with IBIS alongside some of the old F lenses opens up all sorts of possibilities with some of the more unusual lenses such as my PC set which were produced.

I have picked up a fisheye which should be interesting too.

I am glad I kept my battered and bruised 180 2.8 which was my mainstay for dance photography. It might just back out from the back of the gear cupboard.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Superb images! I really enjoy the interior shots. Such a shame that they do not allow tripods. The reasoning?

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
Superb images! I really enjoy the interior shots. Such a shame that they do not allow tripods. The reasoning?
Thanks.

Here in Europe some states like France and Italy only allow photography for personal use in monuments. You cannot sell any pictures you take for stock use eccetera.

It is illegal to photograph the Eiffel Tower. Here is an explanation of the incredibly stupid situation we have here in Europe. The private public space is another bad scenario for photography in places like London.

A tripod I learnt is synonymous with professional photography and so you need to apply for a permit for professional photography if you want to use a tripod.

Using my PC lenses with the level horizon visibile and IBIS in my Z7 seems a good step forward in getting around the "no tripod rule" .

Kind regards
Klaus
New lenses might be better, or might not, depending on the lens. They're different. Many are indeed better. But:

That's all irrelevant! The main thing is the old ones don't get worse than they were before, whenever a new one becomes available :)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom