Old lens on digital Nikkor 135/f2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by vulturetec, Jun 6, 2007.

1. I hadn't used this lens in years, I happened upon it in my old bag this afternoon and thought I'd see how it performs on my D200.

The lens is a 1974 vintage Nikkor 135mm f/2.8 (manual focus of course). I modified it to an "AI" lens myself years ago. It's relatively sharp, with a little CA.

First test images were in lousy conditions - really really hazy and cloudy around the airport, generally gray and yucky - I was looking at CA and sharpness. Not bad for a 33 year old hunk of glass. Can't wait for a decent day to try something with it.

Yeah - the color sucks... :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

100%
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

100%
    [​IMG]

2. Scott
    Not bad at all for 33 year old glass! I've had a similar situation in having discovered 3 nikkors in an old case from the early 80's. 105 f/2.5, 50 f/1.4, and lastly 24 f/2. Had it not been for the heavy rain and flood that soaked my basement this past April, they still would be undiscovered.
    I'm more than pleased with the results I get with them and my D200.

3. Nice shots! It's not a bad lens at all!! I tried mine the other day and was very pleasantly surprised how sharp it is. I also tried the 75-150mm Series E zoom and wow what a lens it is on the D200!

4. patrickh41

patrickh41 Guest

I have that lens and the 135/2 - both are stellar performers. Not quite in the same class as the 105/2.5 or the 105/1.8 but the same family. They are all characterized by sharpness, good color and contrast and incredibly rugged build. The only problem is that these old lenses are becoming really popular as they are demonstrated on sites such as this and other similar forums (including the Canon forums, where nikkors are quite popular with adapters). Prices on ebay and elsewhere for some of the classic nikkors have all moved up in recent years making life more difficult for those of us operating on limited budget but seeking good glass. Still - AI and AIS lenses often represent considerable value for money if purchased with care. I recently acquired a 28/2.8 AIS (with CFC and focussing down to 0.2m) for $135 - and it is one of the prizes in my collection with all the attributes of the best of the nikkors.

5. Scott

Impressive results from an old lens. Perhaps it's time to do some eBay shopping ...

BTW - I'm pretty good at airplane spotting (PP license and 20 years in the USAF), but that jet in the top shot is not familiar. Any idea what that is?

Cheers!!

Ken

6. I think it's a Saeta (might be Seatta?) trainer; not sure of the model number. Haven't seen many photos of it, I think it's 'Slovakian.

Check THIS

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
  7. Nice surprise for you but making me feel bad cause I too had the 135 and 50 mm 1.8 from those years. Used them on Nikon FE . Lovely camera and sure wish it was still in my pocession. :frown:

8. Ken - I think it is an HA200, just like the video. It's been there at the salvage yard for years.

All -
    Still haven't had time to do anything with the lens, but I managed to take a couple of test shots this morning with decent contrast - I sometimes use this chimney, lots of good details and contrasts to look at. Seems ok, I'm going on a trip next week - I may take it along.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and here's what my modification looks like. No big deal, just have to pull the ring off and cut at the right spot:
    p703348380-2.

...I've got a 1970-72 vintage 50mm/1.4 I used a lot and it was always really sharp. Would be nice to have that one modified, not sure I want to go to the trouble of taking it apart and grinding away at it myself though.