Old or New Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro

Hi guys,

I have finally saved enough money to purchase my first macro lens and after many months of research, reading many threads,and saving money, I have decided that the Sigma 150 macro is the way to go. The big dilemma that I'm having right now is whether it makes sense for me to wait until the new version comes out (which is supp to start shipping soon) for $1,100, or save the money and go for the older trusty model for about $750. I see many folks who are very happy with the older model and the only complaint I have heard from some is the fact that the auto-focus can be a little slow. I'm not sure if the new version will correct this issue. The one thing that does call my attention about the new model is the built-in stabilizer. I almost went with the Nikon 105 VR for that same reason but for bugs, the sigma seemed like a better fit.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Manny

I have the old model, and unless I'm using it as a general telephoto, it's on a tripod, so I'm not sure how useful the OS is in the new one...As for the focus, it's slow on my D70s, but fine on my D2X... remember, it's a 150mm prime lens... focusing at macro lengths and missing the focus is gonna make it seem slow, that's a loooong way back around! :tongue: Much faster to focus manually whenever possible. My old version is a GREAT lens, and I am very pleased every time I use it.

I guess they forgot to tell me that the AF on mine is slow, I have never noticed it. I have used mine on both the D90 and D7000, with good results.

The lens is heavy, and for macro work, the OS would be nice, but not for the cost difference.

My concern is that the redesigned lens with OS will actually perform worse than the current lens. Thus you might have to wait longer to see how it performs with real users, and perhaps lens tests if you're inclined to wait for those.

My concern is that the redesigned lens with OS will actually perform worse than the current lens. Thus you might have to wait longer to see how it performs with real users, and perhaps lens tests if you're inclined to wait for those.

Do you ever notice if you look hard enough you can find someone showing you what you want to see in these lens tests? I like the first hand opinions given here not a bunch of colors and graphs. That's just me.

I just got the old one...got tired of waiting and was afraid that once the new one started shipping, the "deals" and/or availability on the older one might change.

And I only wanted it for macro, so I'll almost always be shooting it stopped down with as fast shutter speed as possible was my intention. The OS just didn't seem like a big factor for me and I even doubt I'll use a tripod very often.

If the new one is eventually crowned as the champion, there will always be a market for a used bugma. Plus, I anticipate the price to float on down on the newer one....jmho.

This is probably my biggest fear. So many people are so happy with the current version that it is hard to justify the price difference.

I just got the old one...got tired of waiting and was afraid that once the new one started shipping, the "deals" and/or availability on the older one might change.

And I only wanted it for macro, so I'll almost always be shooting it stopped down with as fast shutter speed as possible was my intention. The OS just didn't seem like a big factor for me and I even doubt I'll use a tripod very often.

If the new one is eventually crowned as the champion, there will always be a market for a used bugma. Plus, I anticipate the price to float on down on the newer one....jmho.

Thanks Keith,

That is exactly what I was thinking. I'm not a very experienced macro user so I was wondering how the old one would perform handheld so long as I use a flash and keeping fast shutters speeds. Not sure how much the OS would truly help in that situation.

The one thing that does call my attention about the new model is the built-in stabilizer. I almost went with the Nikon 105 VR for that same reason but for bugs, the sigma seemed like a better fit.

VR/IS/OS, whatever you call the funky vibration control doober, doesn't play well with tripods or macro focusing distances (or, fyi, high shutter speeds ~1/2000s or faster'ish). best to turn it off in these circumstances.

Go with the 105mm VR, and be done with it.

i gotta agree here.

i have the 105/VR nikkor and it's usurped my beloved, trusty and heavily used 80-200/2.8D out of my camera bag for most jobs.

just save up a little extra and get the Nikkor. it's a stunning piece of gear.

Personally, I think that VR/OS is useful for "close-ups" but not macro close and down to 1:1. I'd always use a tripod for that work.

On the other hand, VR/OS makes a 150mm lens more useful for general photography.

Also, the Nikon 105 vs the Sigma 150 discussion has been beaten to death in the cafe forums. Just do a search and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I read those posts debating the 105 vs Sigma 150 and wound up with the Sigma. And I'm really a Nikon snob, preferring NOT to venture too far from OEM gear. This Sigma is the ONLY time I've strayed, and so far have no regrets.

The only macro I'm aware of that is critically sharp wide open is the older Nikon 200 f4. There may be others and I'm not trying to start another debate. So, a macro 2.8 setting isn't very useful to me. But again, my only use so far for the Sigma 150 is macro...bugs and flowers.

Anyway, the OP was about 2 Sigma lenses, right?

Also, the Nikon 105 vs the Sigma 150 discussion has been beaten to death in the cafe forums. Just do a search and you'll see what I'm talking about.

I read those posts debating the 105 vs Sigma 150 and wound up with the Sigma. And I'm really a Nikon snob, preferring NOT to venture too far from OEM gear. This Sigma is the ONLY time I've strayed, and so far have no regrets.

The only macro I'm aware of that is critically sharp wide open is the older Nikon 200 f4. There may be others and I'm not trying to start another debate. So, a macro 2.8 setting isn't very useful to me. But again, my only use so far for the Sigma 150 is macro...bugs and flowers.

Anyway, the OP was about 2 Sigma lenses, right?

Thanks Keith,

You are absolutely correct. I already did my homework and decided on the Sigma instead of a Nikon a while back. The hesitation was regarding the new version versus the old. Regardless, I just pulled the trigger and went with the old version. Very excited to see what this puppy can do.

Thanks once again to all for your input.

You are going to love it. I compared greatly to the Nikkor 105 and it wasn't even close, the Sigma is a way Bette lens. Then I discovered that the Sigma is an awesomely good medium telephoto lens that takes superb portraits. As good if not better than the 135 DC. If the OS version is just as sharp then I'll be first in line to get one.

And to anyone who has only used the lens as a macro, definitely take the time to go shoot some portraits or just general subjects. You'll end up loving his lens even more.

Not to add too much to the debate, but for me, there is no comparing the Nikkor 105 with the Sigma 150... their focal lenghts are just too different. The Nikon, being that much shorter, would be better compared to the Tamron 90, or similar macros... different focal lengths for different purposes.

Not to add too much to the debate, but for me, there is no comparing the Nikkor 105 with the Sigma 150... their focal lenghts are just too different. The Nikon, being that much shorter, would be better compared to the Tamron 90, or similar macros... different focal lengths for different purposes.

Is there a big difference at 1:1?

I don't know, having never owned the 105VR... I do know that one of the reasons I bought the Siggy is that, at the time, I was interested in photographing closeups of reptiles (snakes, rattlers, etc.) and wanted the extra working room. The 150mm in addition to a TC was the perfect choice for me...But yeah, I would imagine being 45mm difference in length would make a difference in minimum focusing distance... It can be easily researched.

I don't know, having never owned the 105VR... I do know that one of the reasons I bought the Siggy is that, at the time, I was interested in photographing closeups of reptiles (snakes, rattlers, etc.) and wanted the extra working room. The 150mm in addition to a TC was the perfect choice for me...But yeah, I would imagine being 45mm difference in length would make a difference in minimum focusing distance... It can be easily researched.

105mm - 30cm, 150mm - 38cm

It's definitly not a sports lens! When I bought it, it's going to be used for a macro lens, because that's the designation on it.

I sold my Nikkor 105 for it, mainly for the longer focal length and it has a tripod collar!

If you're doing macro, screw the OS, it's not going to help.

These are with the 1st version, non OS. Got mine for $550

149571_1536861866803_1392540398_31281483_2290524_n.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

162975_1569617965685_1392540398_31345699_5046441_n.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

~Michael~

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom