Old photo retouch - assistance needed

Hey all. I was contacted by a close friend who asked me to retouch an old family picture for her for a reunion party. I casually said yes, but I'm afraid it's beyond my ability. Would anyone here like to give it a shot for me/her? I'm afraid there's no $$$ compensation, so I don't want it to take too much time... otherwise, she'll have to be happy with my poor attempts! :smile: Thanks!

Why not post the image I and others I am sure will help you to do it yourself?

I can only post a smaller version, so you can see if you are able, but I can gladly e-mail the fullsized file. I am working with a scan she gave me... not bad size pixel wise, but unfortunately, a chunk of the picture is a border of some sort, so the actual picture is rather smallish. Here is the picture itself so you can see what work needs to be done...

8725426012_488dcb7f55_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

SCAN0013 by The Reptile Guy, on Flickr

I am able to do the smaller stuff alright, but those big tears in the middle are waaay beyond me!!! Thanks for anything you can do!!!

BTW, the fullsize I can email is 2496x2288 pixels...

work in progress...not finished

is this anything like?

Ray

8724432105_3209602d42_o.jpg

I think that looks much better! :smile: I don't know what the original should look like b/c it's not mine, but a friends, but she has no expectations! :biggrin: Anything will be better than the original!

another go

Ray

8725946694_e8091def3a_o.jpg

Shaun have you ever been sorry you volunteered for something? :biggrin: Me too! I said I would offer some help if possible but to do a good job will require you to spend some time the image is doable but requires some effort. I spent around 30 minutes on this, to do a first class job would require much longer and more precision working but I think it gives a general idea

cracked.jpg

To give you some ideas to help on the way a few comments:
  • The larger size image is available if you click on your posted image, however the scan quality is sub optimal showing signs of pixelation - IMO if possible it should be scanned again at a higher dpi and the image optimised in the scan concentrating on the image area only. The mount is taking up too much scan area and is generally of little importance to the image. However if it is a must do two scans one for image one for matt.
  • Layers:
    • Curves layer to equalise channels and improve overall contrast
    • Layer 3 some patch work and conversion to greyscale
    • Boys arm. Loosely select the good arm and hand and copy to new layer. Flip and move into position. Paint on mask to blend into original. Note part of the hands are missing I hope it can be accepted that they are hidden in the clothing - if not you will have to find hands to copy
    • Girls arm repair using the patch and clone tool to make good left arm. Need this for later repair to other arm
    • Dogs head. What can I say I am not a good painter so I borrowed one and blended. Not great but you may find something better that works
    • Girls arm flip. Select girls newly repaired right arm copy paste and flip. Move into place paint on mask to blend in
    • WIP Patch tool. This was a quick clean up using Patch, Spot and Clone tools.
As it stands now the image should be worked on to blend and refine. Hope this of some help

Tony

Well done...I hadn't realised the arm was wrong and assumed it was covered.....

Good idea re dog's head....excellent!!!!!

Best wishes and inspired by your work

Ray

Ray many thanks for your kind words. Also thank you for not pointing out that I made a mess by plugging the shadow detail on the faces :biggrin: TBH doing this hurriedly did not check before posting as I concentrated mainly on the tear and just did not notice. Did not bother saving the PSD file before resize and flattening so cannot correct without going back to the beginning :mad:. BTW the dogs head is not exactly correct as the white colouring extends further on the new head - could be fixed in post if needed to be accurate

It looks like the original had been repaired with tape and at some time someone decided to remove it pulling away good chunks of image information.

Good lesson to be learned, before trying to physically clean an image or remove stuck objects always make the best copy you can in its current state. Should the worst happen e.g. your emulsion floats away, or you destroy extensive retouching on the orig. etc, this copy is your vital fall back point

Hi Tony....great to be participating again as been so busy.

Your retouch and comments have been really helpful...just wanted to say a big thanks...appreciated.

Best wishes

Ray

Wow wow wow! You guys are most impressive! Shall I ask my friend to try for a better scan? Also, I will ask her if she desires the color to be re-done or not, I'm not sure what she wants out of the picture. Amazing work!

Not sure that the image posted is from a scan as it shows poor focus both left and right. Although this could be caused by the work not held flat in the scanner.

Anyway to make your life much easier in the restoration get a good quality scan at something like 1200dpi 48bit colour (16 bit per channel) - be prepared for a chunky file size in comparison to your DSLR. The reason for a colour scan is that you are looking to get as much information as possible both good and bad and the colour channels can be your friend in highlighting information.

The original image contains no colour information so unless you want to hand color it as Ray has done then perhaps best not to ask?

Once you get your new scan then perhaps work on the image (I assume you have PS) and follow the layers guide. If you get stuck just shout out and post an image of where you are at and we will try to help.

Hey all. I was contacted by a close friend who asked me to retouch an old family picture for her for a reunion party. I casually said yes, but I'm afraid it's beyond my ability. Would anyone here like to give it a shot for me/her? I'm afraid there's no $$$ compensation, so I don't want it to take too much time... otherwise, she'll have to be happy with my poor attempts! :smile: Thanks!

Shaun, should I remind you of this thread?

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure that the image posted is from a scan as it shows poor focus both left and right. Although this could be caused by the work not held flat in the scanner.

Anyway to make your life much easier in the restoration get a good quality scan at something like 1200dpi 48bit colour (16 bit per channel) - be prepared for a chunky file size in comparison to your DSLR. The reason for a colour scan is that you are looking to get as much information as possible both good and bad and the colour channels can be your friend in highlighting information.

The original image contains no colour information so unless you want to hand color it as Ray has done then perhaps best not to ask?

Once you get your new scan then perhaps work on the image (I assume you have PS) and follow the layers guide. If you get stuck just shout out and post an image of where you are at and we will try to help.

Sorry, I think we misunderstood each other... I wasn't referring to Ray's adding of the color (although that is really, really cool), but to the changing of the original sepia tone to a regular B&W... :smile:

Shaun, should I remind you of this thread?

Thank you for that reminder! I will put that thread and this one together and have a real go at it early next week...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I think we misunderstood each other... I wasn't referring to Ray's adding of the color (although that is really, really cool), but to the changing of the original sepia tone to a regular B&W... :smile:
Yes I obviously misunderstood. If you want to add a sepia tone you could try the Sepia tone in Actions or just add a HSL layer yourself and tone to your own taste

ShaunK,

Hope you don't mind but here's my attempt. Using layers to work on each element. My apologies to the dog. :smile:

Sepia%20Retouch-L.jpg

Hey all, just thought I'd update this thread with my latest attempt. Please let me know if there's something majorly obvious that I'm missing or overlooking! Thanks.

Original (new scan she gave me, much better!)
8956718760_b82d3e6235_b.jpg

VanderwalFamily by The Reptile Guy, on Flickr

My attempt
8956717544_ff2cab4b90_b.jpg

VanderwalFamily1 by The Reptile Guy, on Flickr

Latest threads

Top Bottom