Old photos with recently added textures

I remember the original one. IMO the texture added version looks much better

I also like it better with the texture. However, you're remembering the World Series hat that I photographed a few months ago. This image, which is a different hat, was originally photographed in a similar style (floating on a field of black) more than five years ago. I'm going through images beginning with my oldest tabletop photos.

May be you should upload the new and old versions for comparison

I considered doing that and decided against it thinking the thread might become a bit crowded. It's more of a fun thread partly to display the styles that can be made using a texture and partly to display how easy it is to find textures thanks to the artificial intelligence built into the software.

Last edited:
Original photo made March 2014. The texture is the background.

Mike 2014-03-25--003A-S.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I find the textured versions, for the most part, more interesting. They hold my gaze a little longer- which is a very good thing.
I think you are indirectly pointing out one of the hardest things artists have to do. They have to know where they want to get to.
In your mind, you have to decide I want to have a sunburst here, and little red and blue dots there. The options are endless. That is the part of post processing I find most challenging. Where as I going and how do I know when I get there?
Gary

The options are endless.

That's one of the most appealing aspects for me of doing tabletop photography. I'm in nearly complete control of what I want to appear in the photograph, whether it's in the physical scene at the time of capture or the result of post-processing.

As just one example, I don't think I've ever used even just one texture exactly as is; I've always either used several copies of it in the same photo, turned it, enlarged it, made it smaller, partly desaturated it, blurred it, erased part of it, etc., etc., etc. Add to all of those possibilities that I can also use whatever blending mode I want and at whatever opacity I want, which sometimes radically changes the overall appearance of the texture.

I find the textured versions, for the most part, more interesting.

When I post an image in this thread, I do so because I prefer the version that includes the texture. Only certain images are candidates for adding a texture. Some of the images that I have added a texture to end up being deleted but so far that has been at the most two images.

The really nice feature of having the textures so readily available thanks to the artificial intelligence built into the software is that I can plan to use a particular style of texture or maybe even a particular texture before I construct the setup in my makeshift studio. That newly added part of my workflow is a whole new way of considering how to present a particular subject. That's because I can use textures to create a lot of moods and appearances that would not be remotely practical to create as part of the physical scene in the constraints of my makeshift studio.

Last edited:
Photo originally made New Year's Eve 2015. The texture is the group of circles.

The really neat implementation was the method of finding this texture: I quickly painted a lot of gold circles in three sizes onto a field of black. After deleting the black area, I "told" the software to look for a similar texture. I spent less than a minute finding the texture I ended up using.

Mike 2015-12-31--072-S.jpg

Again, the texture background adds a lot to the party atmosphere.
You are at a whole different level than I am. I put stuff down on the table and am usually surprised what it looks like, or what I can make it look like.
It sounds like you already know where you are going, early in a shoot I never have a clue what will turn up.
Gary

early in a shoot I never have a clue what will turn up

That's sometimes true also for me.

Even when we're confident about everything in advance, it's always best to be open-minded to seeing or thinking of things that had not been considered. As an example, I remember the time I was setting up a scene and hadn't even begun to set up the lighting I had planned. That was when I noticed that the lone, fluorescent light fixture in the ceiling was casting the ideal light. I had never, ever considered leaving that fixture turned on while I was photographing a scene. Now I consider it for every scene even though I realize the likelihood of using it is a LOT less than a 1% chance. I've made about 1300 keepers in my makeshift studio and only two of them are lit by that fluorescent light. For those two images, that was the easiest and quickest method of lighting the scene that also worked well.

Last edited:
Photo originally made New Year's Eve 2015. The texture is the group of circles.

The really neat implementation was the method of finding this texture: I quickly painted a lot of gold circles in three sizes onto a field of black. After deleting the black area, I "told" the software to look for a similar texture. I spent less than a minute finding the texture I ended up using.

View attachment 1654211
Just the perfect choice as a BG! I love it!

I'm torn. Like Binnur I find the rays distracting but the colors are appropriate and do add to the interpretation. I think it may be because I have always trusted and appreciated your creativity and knowledge to best interpret a scene—especially wine and food.

Original photo made August 2016. The texture is the mottled appearance in the background. The color gradient in the background was in the original.

Mike 2016-08-18--010A-S.jpg

Original photo made November 2016. The texture is the background. It's quite similar to the original, though with a little more tonal variation and with subtle yellow tones that complement the wine better than the mostly grey tones in the original.

Mike 2016-11-02--022A-S.jpg

Last edited:
That beam of light has added a lot of mistery into the meat shot Mike. I like it. White Pinor Noir image looks like heaven with that BG. And IMO Mİ MI image has more energy this way.

Original photo made May 2017. In the original I used cool tones in the background and tabletop to contrast the warm tones in the wine bottle. Upon revisiting the photo, I changed my mind and used the texture to add warm tones that complement the wine bottle. That change completely altered the mood, which at least at this point in time is my preference.

Mike 2017-05-21--002A-S.jpg

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom