1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OLD pre AI 20mm f/3.5 - decent lens?

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Wileec, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Wileec

Wileec Guest

I'm newer to the lens game. I may be helping a neighbor get rid of some older glass he got new, back in the day. A 50mm f/1.4 and a 20mm f/3.5 (1967) are in the mix. I'm wondering if I got these AI processed, if they would be desirable lenses, or if I should be looking at newer glass. These are 40+ years old.

2. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Decent no . Excellent is more like it. the Nikkor 20 3.5 is "still" one of the best wide angle's nikon ever made. Past or present. It's not fast but it is really sharp and will keep straight lines straight. Definitely worth the conversion.

3. Wileec

Wileec Guest

So, given my primary interest in the lens would be for landscape shots, on a tripod, at f/16, it should give very good results? I'm especially interested if there is a minimum of distortion, as am mostly looking for good lens for multiple-shot landscape scenics and stitching them together for larger prints.

4. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Im not expert on the stitch thing but I know for a fact that the nikkor 20 3.5 is an excellent lens. If your looking for maximum sharpness set it at between F8 and 11.

5. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Yeah - I suggested f/16 for maximum DOF, but each lens has it's sweet spot.

6. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Yes maximum depth of field. Yesterday I was shooting some flowers in a local field with my 15mm 5.6 AIS and I was at F22 with the lens set at minimum focus and the flower where just inches from the lens and everything tack sharp. It seems that diffraction isn't as big a deal with Digital as film.
    Anyway, did yo get that Nikkor 20 3.5 yet.

7. c6530

c6530

Aug 15, 2008
    Norway
  8. I had 2 of the 20mm f/3.5 Nikkors - one Ai, one Ai-s. For my use I found the rather strong curvature of field to be a downside.

9. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Not yet - need to take some shots and see what they look like. Will do so at f/16 and f/11 and see how they look. And to be fair, I'll shoot some with my Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 at 20mm and f/11 and see how it compares.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.