Old rail station

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Rui Lopes, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Beautiful Rui! Where is that?

2. Mike Z

Mike Z

May 30, 2005
    Northbrook, IL
    Rui,
    The shots are all interesting but I really like the fourth shot. I think your composition in that shot is excellent.

Mike

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    I like the colors on the tile shot, and the bridge shot is nice with the way it leads into the photo, and good focus front to back on that shot too.

Wade

4. Old railway station

I Thank you all for your kind comments.

Michael: This is in the center-north of Portugal in a wellknown region called "Douro", famous for the production of the Port Wine.
    It is the only place where they grow the grapes from which that special and sweet wine is produced.
    The name of the region is the same of the river you can see in the last pic (Douro). The river comes from from Spain and goes throughout green mountains, for some hundreds of miles till it reaches the sea in my town (Oporto). The name "Douro" either in Portuguese or Spanish means "of gold".
    So, although the wine is produced in the interior Douro, its (Port)name was given by the local where the main caves are located.
    Back in the 20's the way used to transport the wine through the river, inside barrels, were typicall boats called "Rabelos". Here is a photo of one of this boats, here in Oporto:

Best Regards

www.pbase.com/ruilopes

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images
    I love the images on the tiles....

6. Thank you so much Rui! I've just been reading diaries written by my great grandfather ( born in the late 1880's ) about his time working on trade ships sailing from Palestine on up to the north of Europe and over to the Americas (before and during WWI). He mentions picking up wine barrels transfered from smaller sailing vessels in that area ( he says in a port north of Lisbon ) perhaps this is the area of origin of the wine they picked up!... This is quite serendipitous! Thanks you so much for providing me with even more information that relates to what I'm reading at this very minute! Thank you again for sharing the beautiful photos and knowledge.

7. Michael...

You are wellcome! Just one more curiosity:During this month and upon a city event dedicated to St. John, the wine companies organize a race between their boats. Here's a picture of the 2006's race:

more from Oporto here: http://www.pbase.com/ruilopes/porto&page=all

Regards.