Old School

First grade through eighth grade I attended this school. Now they are tearing it down. It's time. Was my door to the future.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Doug, your deep black's convey the mood! Nicely shot,processed & conveyed! Your bringing back memories of some of my old schools now! Hope all is well.:smile:

At least you got to see your old school. Last time I was in the UK I went to visit my old school but it was gone. Then again it dated from Victorian times and was past due for the old wrecking ball treatment!

Very nostalgic shots, Doug. They remind me of my Junior High that was torn down the year after I left. A lot of memories in those old schools!
Thanks, Dossy. Lots of schools went up in the 20's and 30' and they all seemed to look alike! Indeed, there are lots of memories in those old buildings. I've been remembering for the last week.

Doug, your deep black's convey the mood! Nicely shot,processed & conveyed! Your bringing back memories of some of my old schools now! Hope all is well.:smile:
So pleased that you like the shots. I've seldom found myself attached to a building before, but I spent so much time in this one, it apparently has stuck to me. Doing a little grieving, I think. All is well, my friend, and thanks for asking. I'm just busier than ever, so the Cafe is getting less of my attention right now. I still look, but don't always have time to respond.

Doug, I hope they replace it with a new, modern school for kids to make their way in!
They already have, Kris. but it'll never be as good as this one (as far as I'm concerned). This old one sits right on the banks of the Maumee River. In the winter, we'd bring our skates to school and play hockey after classes. In the spring, we'd bring fishing poles. The county library branch was housed there so we had a constant supply of great books. Wonderful place to grow up!

Nice shots. I like the bike racks. Who rides a bike to school now.
Thanks, Samuel. I remember riding my bike all the time. You, too?

Very moody... :smile:
Thanks, Al! That's what I was going for.

At least you got to see your old school. Last time I was in the UK I went to visit my old school but it was gone. Then again it dated from Victorian times and was past due for the old wrecking ball treatment!
Wow, Ray! So sorry you weren't able to reunite with the old place. I'm surprised at how deeply I'm feeling this. Hope you got away with less sorrow than I'm feeling. It was certainly time for it to go. It had been administration offices for about five years and now has been vacant for a year. Vandals have done their deeds and it looks particularly forlorn, a far cry from the vibrant, spiffy schoolhouse I remember. But it will always be "my old school."

it is always a shame when buildings that hold good memories come down.
that's the price of progress they say Doug......but i haven't seen the world progress at all lately. cheers.

Excellent, Doug, this is the same architecture and period of the junior high school I attended, but mine had bars on the windows, dunno why. j/k:biggrin:

Wish I had a picture to show, but some of it has been torn down and what is
left has gone through so many permutations that it's unrecognizable, pity.

These shots will hold a lot of memories Doug... I know the feeling as I attended the closing of my primary school, the only good thing is that they weren't tearing it down, and it may get a second chance, we can only hope.

it is always a shame when buildings that hold good memories come down.
that's the price of progress they say Doug......but i haven't seen the world progress at all lately. cheers.
I'll miss the old building, but I'll always have the memories. I'm hoping they will build a park on the site, but I've not heard of any plans. I live a fair distance from Waterville, so I'm not up on current news. Progress? Maybe on some planet, but it doesn't feel like progress to me, either. Thanks, Vin!

Excellent, Doug, this is the same architecture and period of the junior high school I attended, but mine had bars on the windows, dunno why. j/k:biggrin:

Wish I had a picture to show, but some of it has been torn down and what is
left has gone through so many permutations that it's unrecognizable, pity.
Bars! LOL! I think it's more painful to see a landmark transformed into something unrecognizable, than to just see it disappear. Lots of interesting institutional architecture during the 20's and 30's. Some wonderful stone work and decoration. Sorry to see it come to such a state, but like Vin says, that's what progress seems to look like these days. Thanks, Bill.

Very nice series. Are yo going to save a brick when they tear it down?
Thanks, Dallas. I hadn't thought about that, but I like the idea. Thanks for the suggestion!

These shots will hold a lot of memories Doug... I know the feeling as I attended the closing of my primary school, the only good thing is that they weren't tearing it down, and it may get a second chance, we can only hope.
Yeah, Wally, lots of memories. Glad your old primary may serve a new purpose. Hope they don't "improve" it too much! But we always have the memories, don't we.

Nice series, esp. love #3 also.
Thanks, Jeff. That's the door that used to go to the county library branch that was housed at the school. Spent lots of hours in that library reading Boy's Life magazine and discovering adventure through Moby ****, Robinson Crusoe, and lots of other friends.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom