Critique Old Spoons

Friends suggested that I photograph their old spoons. My guess is that they are handmade.

The moire in the napkin in this small version is not in the original full-size version.

Setup
The tabletop is white fabric. A medium continuous-light lamp underneath the camera and pointing upward lit a white reflector. One end of the reflector rested on the tabletop at the top of the scene and the other end rested on the camera, which positioned the reflector at a 45-degree angle to the tabletop.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thank you to Bart and Nick!

I like the shadows of the spoons
They were an unintended consequence of my lighting setup, as I was thinking the scene was being lit using only reflected light. The shadows indicate that at least some light coming directly from the lamp was falling on the scene. I liked the shadows so much that I didn't change the setup.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
Beautiful execution, Mike. Really impressive lighting and processing make the subjects even more interesting!

These spoons look like old family treasures.
My friends who own the spoons got back to me about that. They belonged to the guy's mother but he doesn't have any other information about them. An engraved inscription on the reverse of the large spoon indicates CH 12/6.85, but it's not known what it means. My guess is that the letters are probably initials of someone's name and the numbers might be a date. The font is highly stylized, so it's probably a personalized engraving. My friends think the spoons may be made of nickel silver.

My friends asked for a photo of the engraved inscription on the rear of the large spoon, so I'm also posting it here just in case anyone is interested in it.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom