Old Style Flashes & Nikon D80

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by biglannie, Jul 31, 2008.

1. biglannie

biglannie

May 22, 2008
    New Jersey
    I have a Nikon D80. I also have two old Lummedyne 244 flash systems from the 90s that served me well when I did wedding photography using medium format film cameras.

These flashes have the big battery packs and 200 watt per second flash heads.

I wanted to use these flashes with my Nikon D80 so I inquired at B&H Photo and the recommended using a Wein Safe-Sync Hot Shoe to Hot Shoe, SSHSHS.

I don’t want to fry my camera but these are good flashes, has anyone tried doing this using this gadget?

2. Casket28

Casket28 Guest

Why risk it? You can test your trigger voltages yourself, and as long as its under 6 volts then you should be fine. I would, for the small investment that those adapters cost, definatly invest in one, or two. Id much rather pay the 40 or so bucks for one of those adapters as opposed to buying a new camera, or sending it out for warranty because i fried the flash circuit, or worse......

3. I realize that this is picking nits, but I think you mean to say "200 watt seconds" rather than "200 watt per second".

A watt is a unit of POWER equal to one joule of energy per second. It measures a rate of energy use or production.

A watt second is a unit of WORK. 1 joule = 1 newton metre = 1 watt second.

By the way, your camera hot shoe is good up to 250 volts as I recall (check your manual to be certain), but I don't know about your particular flash units. It's easy enough to measure though.