Old Sunpak ringflash and D70

I have a Sunpak ringflash which I have used for years on my 8008. Unfortunately, my D70 will not fire this flash even in manual mode. Does anyone know how I can use this ringflash with my D70?

Thanks for any help.

mitch

fks

hi mitch-

try this:

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ricky

Mitchell said:
I have a Sunpak ringflash which I have used for years on my 8008. Unfortunately, my D70 will not fire this flash even in manual mode. Does anyone know how I can use this ringflash with my D70?

Thanks for any help.

mitch

fks

hi mitchell-

sorry for the confusion, that's correct. you can use electrical tape or some similar insulator. i'm guessing that you have a nikon ttl module on the ring flash. the d-slr's don't do normal ttl, so when you hook up a ttl-only flash, the camera doesn't recognize it and refuses to fire the flash. isolating the ttl contacts will allow the flash to fire.

ricky

Mitchell said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly do you mean by "isolate these contacts"? Do you want me to cover them?

fks

hi mitch-

glad it worked for you :)

yeah, without i-ttl you're in manual flash exposure mode, but at least with digital you can check your exposure right after you take the shot and adjust if needed.

i think sigma has a new ring flash that can do i-ttl, but i haven't seen a review yet.

post some photos. i've thought about buying a ring flash but don't do macro often enough to justify it. i have two sb-800's and one day i'll get around to trying a dual flash setup for macro work.

ricky

Mitchell said:
Ricky,
That worked like a charm! This place is the greatest.

The only problem now is that I have to go completely manual with both the camera and the flash. Trial and error time, here I come.

I'm an ear, nose, and throat doctor. My ring flash needs are primarily for taking shots inside the mouth. The ring flash is really the only way to illuminate that space.

Personally, for all other macro needs, I don't really care for the ring flash. I find it provides a very flat lighting which leaves most shots looking dull and uninteresting.

fks

hi mitch-

post them anyway :wink: my brother-in-law is a periodontist. he uses a coolpix 950 for his photos from what i remember.

ricky

Mitchell said:
I'm an ear, nose, and throat doctor. My ring flash needs are primarily for taking shots inside the mouth. The ring flash is really the only way to illuminate that space.

Personally, for all other macro needs, I don't really care for the ring flash. I find it provides a very flat lighting which leaves most shots looking dull and uninteresting.

Latest threads

Top Bottom