1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Old Venice Hotel

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by 57corvette, May 7, 2007.

1. I shot this photo on the boardwalk of Venice Beach in Los Angeles. I wanted to jazz it up a little ....... my wife feels I went too far. I like the look, but would love to hear your thoughts.

382274881_dfdab73f17_b.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Thanks .............. Bob

2. pretty cool Bob

3. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Can't tell how far you went unless you also show the original. :confused: 

4. Thanks Dave .........

Peano,

I'm new here ...signed up yesterday so please forgive my ignorance. I didn't post the original because I didn't want it on the Flickr page with the re-touched photos. I'm I correct that would be the only way to do that? Also, if the original is the same size .... is posting two photos that large a no-no?

I have seen your work in the DPreview forum and have long admired your talents.

Thanks,

Bob

5. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
  6. Peano,

Here is the original:

[​IMG][/IMG]

7. Peano

Peano

Jun 22, 2006
    Washington, D.C.
    Interesting transformation! The question of "too far" raises the next question, "too far for what?" It really depends on what the image is for. But I like what you did with it.

8. That's my feeling as well ........ I like this transformation, and I'm looking to do more radical ones. I have some that are so abstract you can tell what the original photo is. But for me, it's a way of expressing an artistic need in me. So for me, the question is: do I like it? If I do, then I think I am successful in my transformation.

Because I'm new here, I'm not sure if this re-touching forum is for minor re-touching or what-ever-you-want retouching. I don't want to post inappropriate work here.
    Thanks for checking it out .......

Bob

9. iudoc97

iudoc97

Nov 13, 2006
    Indiana
    I like it just fine... really a cool rework!
    Sott

10. Arif

Arif Guest

I like it ;) 

I like the transformation. It gives it character. Something like a feeling a newcomer to town in the late night will have to decide - rent or run ;) 

Best wishes,
    Arif
    www.aiqball.zenfolio.com

11. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Bob,

I like it a lot. You seem to have been working toward a specific look you had in your mind so I don't think the question of "too far" can really be applied.

I would agree the success of the transformation is relative to what you, the photographer, were looking for.

Anyway, nice work in my mind

12. Nice job ...I like it :smile: :smile: :smile:

Post anything you like....nothing is OOB here :wink: :wink: :wink: Except using my avatar in your images that is....:rolleyes:  :wink: :rolleyes:  :wink: :eek: 

13. I like this rendition a lot!

Cheers

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I love it
    Nice work

Any photo for any type of retouch or pp BELONGS in this forum

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    lol@mike ....... except dave:) ))))))

16. Arif, Scott,

Thank you for taking a look at it ..... Better to run than rent in Venice at night.

17. I like this Bob - adds character and mood to the pic. Nicely done.

18. Chris, Mike, Harry, Gale, DianeR ,

Thank you all for the nice words ....... I look forward to posting more here and learning what I can from all of you.

Mike your avatar is safe ... I promise.

Bob

19. You took it from ho-hum to wow.
    Nice work I think.

The real well executed first step was to capture the image in the first place.
    I like the end result.

20. Vernon T,

Thank you for looking at it and the nice words .........

Bob

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.