Critique Old West

Real Name
Bill
These are interesting images- well done.
You asked for a critique, my opinions. Take them or leave them. I think we all get better when we hear what others think.
First image- work on the masking around the gun. The red on the inner sleeve has to go. Darken the area below the sleeve and fingers.
Walk the edges- I would make the small portion of the button hole go away. I would probably crop in on that side, as the left inch or two of this image really doesn't add anything.

Second image. Again, walk the edges. The little dark blob on the left- at the level of the fingers- just clone away. The lighter part of the oof background on the left could easily be burned down a little.

Overall, don't be afraid to push the iso a little-or a lot. I "assume" these were handheld. Even with VR you are pushing your luck to get sharp images at 300mm shooting at 1/20th of a sec. I can fix noise in post- I can't fix blur. I think you lost a little bit of fine detail on the weave and bullets on the 2nd one.

These are very nicely seen, good compositions. Thanks for sharing.
gary

Really nice images, Bill! Love the first one! There is a triangle of background behind the trigger that could be darkened to match the background. I would address the red in the sleeve.....

The composition of the second image is very good also. My first impression was that the image was overly bright especially in the lower right corner. I think the hand and gun should be the subject, with the fringe playing a supporting role.

I would remove the black blob to the left of his hand. And maybe copy the background from the lower left and see if you can use it to replace the distracting upper left corner. That would sorta match the background we see between his body and arm.

Edits

Holster.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Old West.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Featured image- congratulations!!
Ok, if you really want to nit pick- or if this is going to go to print.
Once the big things are fixed, little things start showing up.
There is a small light area below the sleeve- it is the rock on the wall. That could be darkened a little.
There are a bunch of little light areas in the wall that could go away.
There is an odd bluish shadow on the gun stock as it exits the bottom of the picture- imho that really needs addressed.
I am always surprised how correcting the little things add up to a great print.
If it helps any- when I am going to a large print I go through several versions in print before they hang- as these little things show up all the time.
gary

Real Name
Bill
WOW! I really like #2 now. You did a very nice job with the edits on both images!
Thanks Karen!
The difference between a good image and a really good image is often just the little details- the little things.
These are IMHO now stronger. Well done
gary
Thanks Gary, I appreciate the help.
Glad you posted the edited images, had someone nominate the first image if you posted an edited version, (in my opinion it was good enough as is) but regardless, it is featured! Awesome feel, texture and color palette.
Thanks so much.

I feel like every photographer has their strengths and weaknesses. My weakness and what I need to work on are people pictures. Had a chance last week to step outside my comfort zone. Thoughts?

View attachment 1687800

View attachment 1687801
I love the photos and the color too. They jump right off the page. What software did you use to bring out the detail and color? Also what camera and lens did you use?

Great ideas from everyone and the improvements they generated are immediately apparent in the edited images.

I have to say I didn't really care for the composition of #1. I see dark with a bright diagonal in the center of the picture.

Just to show that we all like and dislike different things, that characteristic you describe is exactly what I like about the image.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom