Older AF lens not working on D750?

I just purchased a D2Xs and 80-200 f2.8 used in great shape. I am waiting for a new battery for the camera since the one it came with is not usable. In the mean time, I'm using the battery from my D3s to play around with it.
On to the problem. I coupled the lens to my other cameras and it works fine on the D2xs and D3s but doesn't work on the D750. By doesn't work I mean no autofocus. I get the focus indicators in the viewfinder so I can manually focus and the aperture works properly but just no AF. I did some Google searching and it seems that there is a DC-DC coupling between the lens and camera that is likely the culprit. I'm wondering if this issue is limited to the D750 or if there are other camera / lens combos affected? Has anyone else seen this?

Here is the lens:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, Luke.

I checked for the focus screw connection - it protrudes from the lens, I don't think it protrudes from the camera. I didn't look at the other bodies. I'll check that when I get home tonight.

Thanks for the reply, Luke.

I checked for the focus screw connection - it protrudes from the lens, I don't think it protrudes from the camera. I didn't look at the other bodies. I'll check that when I get home tonight.
The lens will have something that looks like a flat head screw, while the camera lens mount will have a spring loaded protrusion that looks like a screw driver bit that mates with it. It is spring loaded so it can retract when AFS lenses are mounted. Make sure it is not stuck in the retracted position.

Real Name
Andy
Let me start by saying that I don't think you need to worry about mechanical connections between the body and lens. All Nikon pro-grade 70- and 80- 200mm autofocus lenses have their own motor (signified by the "AF-S"), and if I understand correctly, that means that only electronic communications occur between camera and lens. The spring pin described by others is needed for "garden variety D" lenses whose focus movements are driven mechanically by the camera body. For your case, cleaning the electrical contacts may help, but looking for mechanical connections to troubleshoot will not.

I have owned three different copies of the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED. It is an outstandingly good optic that for some reason sometimes doesn't play well with the D750. It also is prone to detachment of an internal ribbon cable that is easily repaired as a 30-minute DIY project. What follows is perhaps a longer answer than you expected, but I think it may be valuable to you.

The first copy of this lens I owned worked for a month or two on my D750 before deciding it didn't want to play any more. Taking it into a local camera shop revealed that it worked fine on pro bodies. The next copy I obtained worked fine on the D500 but was very inconsistent on the D750. It developed the ribbon issue, which I repaired, but AF function remained inconsistent on the D750. The third copy I obtained had the ribbon issue, but it did seem to otherwise work with the D750, so I performed the DIY repair and it worked just fine right up to the point I sold it.

Bottom line - if you can withstand a little hassle, getting your copy or another of the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED working properly is worth at least a bit of effort. You'd have to leapfrog past the VR1 and VR2 up to the E to achieve a truly visible difference in image quality.

Let me start by saying that I don't think you need to worry about mechanical connections between the body and lens. All Nikon pro-grade 70- and 80- 200mm autofocus lenses have their own motor (signified by the "AF-S"), and if I understand correctly, that means that only electronic communications occur between camera and lens. The spring pin described by others is needed for "garden variety D" lenses whose focus movements are driven mechanically by the camera body. For your case, cleaning the electrical contacts may help, but looking for mechanical connections to troubleshoot will not.

I have owned three different copies of the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED. It is an outstandingly good optic that for some reason sometimes doesn't play well with the D750. It also is prone to detachment of an internal ribbon cable that is easily repaired as a 30-minute DIY project. What follows is perhaps a longer answer than you expected, but I think it may be valuable to you.

The first copy of this lens I owned worked for a month or two on my D750 before deciding it didn't want to play any more. Taking it into a local camera shop revealed that it worked fine on pro bodies. The next copy I obtained worked fine on the D500 but was very inconsistent on the D750. It developed the ribbon issue, which I repaired, but AF function remained inconsistent on the D750. The third copy I obtained had the ribbon issue, but it did seem to otherwise work with the D750, so I performed the DIY repair and it worked just fine right up to the point I sold it.

Bottom line - if you can withstand a little hassle, getting your copy or another of the AF-S 80-200mm f/2.8D IF-ED working properly is worth at least a bit of effort. You'd have to leapfrog past the VR1 and VR2 up to the E to achieve a truly visible difference in image quality.
Thanks for the reply, Andy. This is a little disappointing, but I think I can twist this into good news. I just have to tell my wife "either I need a new pro body to mate to the lens or another lens to mate to the 750!" I'm sure she will understand :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, though, I did buy it with the 2Xs so I think I have an awesome combo to use regardless.

Thanks for the reply, Andy. This is a little disappointing, but I think I can twist this into good news. I just have to tell my wife "either I need a new pro body to mate to the lens or another lens to mate to the 750!" I'm sure she will understand :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, though, I did buy it with the 2Xs so I think I have an awesome combo to use regardless.
I think that if you add a diamond ring to your suggestion your problems will vanish with a smile.

Come on folks, diamond, rubis, emerald, gold...do not believe a word of “don’t buy me jewellery it does not matter to me...”
:)
I just bought my wife a pair of pearl earrings this morning even she uttered the infamous phrase “don’t buy me jewelry, it does not matter to me...” This gives the courage before I can bring out the lens I bought from Dan (drr1531) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom