Older Nikkor lenses

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Dee200, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Dee200

Dee200

Jul 17, 2008
    USA
    I have various older film lenses some which are 10-15 years old. Some include a 24mm 2.8, 80-200mm 2.8, 35-70mm 2.8 and was thinking of selling these. The question is should I keep these now that full frame format in coming out or should I sell and go for newer technology lenses that are fit for digital... :confused:

2. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    I'd say keep 'em unless you're going to go whole hog and drop $3K or so on new lenses.

3. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    The newer lenses are much better than the older ones, especially the 24mm f/2.8 prime which is outclassed by almost every 17-55 or 24-70 f/2.8 class zoom lens. The 80-200 f/2.8 AF-D is still a nice lens though and if the focusing is not limiting you the replacements you can buy for it really aren't worth the extra money.

I wouldn't bother with the 35-70 f/2.8 on DX as it doesn't go wide enough for me, it's a good budget buy on FF but again it's outclassed by the Tamron 28-75 which has a better range and is slightly cheaper. But then again if it's not limiting you in any way why bother spending the money to replace it?

4. i kinda agree and disagree in some respects. I like the cooler, more neutral color and lower contrast of certain Ai/AiS lenses over new optical forumlas. Some of the new lenses, like the 24-70 2.8 are superb, but the color, contrast and detail can be a little over the top for me at least (depending upon the subject matter). My 18-70 seems to punch up the color in everything I throw at it (compared to my 75-150 Ai - the 18-70 is warmer, more saturated, and has more contrast, though the 75-150 is vastly sharper). Sometimes I like something a bit more neutral with lower contrast for portraiture in example, in this regard the older optics are better IMHO, but it is highly subjective.

5. weiran

weiran

Jan 2, 2007
    Nottingham, UK
    I can see where you're coming from, colour is very highly subjective. Differences in lenses doesn't really bother me anymore though, I can just apply a preset in Lightroom to all photographs taken with one specific lens if I don't like the default output, and even then most of the photographs I would print, I fiddle slightly with the colour anyway.

I've never really used any older Ai/AiS lenses, except for the cheapo Nikon 50mm f/1.8 E which I found to have very similar colour to the rest of my lenses.

6. Dee200

Dee200

Jul 17, 2008
    USA
    thanks for the insight. Out of all my lenses listed above which one do you suggest I keep?

7. Mart61

Mart61

Dec 23, 2006
    Camberley, UK
    How old is old?

Looking at your list I'd say keep all of them. They are all, from what I read, 2.8 lenses and should all work just fine with your D200.

8. Nikkor AIS

Nikkor AIS

Jun 5, 2008
    Alberta
    Newer lens are better than Nikkor AIS? I guess I better sell my whole collection of 17 Nikkor's:tongue:. Wait a minute what does "better" mean? I personally own the 24 2.8 AIS and the 80-200 ED AIS and I really think there "better for me", than the newer counter parts. I owned the new AF version of the both these lens when they first came out. Im not saying I hated them, but I never once regretted selling them and getting the classic Nikkor AIS version's. Especially the Nikkor 80-200 2.8 ED AIS, which is still as far as Im concerned, one of the best zoom lens made ever.
    So I say keep your old Nikkor AIS glass. They will never let you down.

Gregory

9. arela

arela

Jan 15, 2008
    Norway
    +1

They are almost bulletproof
    (on the other hand, i hope, for Nikons sake, the new glass is better (...or as good).

10. Dee200

Dee200

Jul 17, 2008
    USA
    I think ill keep the 80-200 and get rid of the others. I really want a 10.5mm 2.8

11. moffo

moffo

Oct 20, 2005
    Central TX
    The 10.5 isn't full frame, you know...

12. CraigH

CraigH

Mar 21, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
    I'd keep them all. You didn't say which are AI/AIS and which are AF, but it doesn't matter. They are all good glass.

Moreover, I agree to a point with some the opinions on whether or not the older formulas are better or not than the new formulas. For ease of use, the new glass is better, obviously. Some older designs like the Guass 105s are simply amazing to me to this day. I still use them. I also love the old AI converted 55 3.5 Micro I own. I bought it new many years ago with the extension tube in the kit. On the other hand, today's 85 1.4 is simply amazing and the 14-24 has set the bar to a new level.

The important part is to have fun and take great images. I'd put each of those old lenses on and try it for a week or more before I decided to dump them.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2008
  13. Dee200

Dee200

Jul 17, 2008
    USA
    The 10.5 would be for my D200. Full frame is a long way down for me.