Oldest Negative I could find

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by NikonConvert, Jun 26, 2007.

1. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Jack Bulpin: 1916 - 1998.

This was my grandfather when he was 24 (younger than I am now!), at the period this photo was taken (1940) he would have been working at a paper mill as a crane operator in Watchet (Southwest England). This was a few years before he was drafted in to the army where he built roads in India until 1946. My mum was born in 1947 =). I have fond memories of Jack from my childhood, he was a great man with a shining character and he will be sorely missed by everyone who knew him.

Since getting my scanner I asked my parents for all the old film negatives they could find. This is the only surviving negative image (strip of one!) from my grandparents. This image was taken by his wife (otherwise known to me as 'Nan' who is still going strong aged 91 this August).

I'm afraid I don't know what camera this was taken on so I apologize for posting here not knowing if it was indeed a Nikon... It could have been. I have only done a bit of cleanup to this, the negative had been very well preserved (Scanned on an Epson V700).

553107148_e8642e57f0.
    See larger version here.

2. Wow! So much history.

I've always idealized the idea of family history. Nice to see it be real.

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very nice
    Handsome man

4. I wonder what a 70 year old digital image will look like from a 70 yr old cd or dvd ?

5. nancyr

nancyr

Feb 14, 2006
    La Jolla, CA
    Very cool pic and history, NC! Old negs are fun. Clean ones, anyway. :rolleyes:

There's gonna be money in them thar hills. Should we all invest in online storage?

And it's not just digital: How do your color negs from the '70s (or God forbid, the '50s) look? Do you even have them, or did you just put cheap prints in a magnetic album now turned to goo?

Back to the thread. :redface:

6. While I do have an appreciation for things that age, I think we would still have most of that effect even looking at a 70 year old, utterly unchanged digital photograph.

Reason being the viewer ages.

7. So Exactemundo True!

8. .
    .I'm sorry, I didn't make thoughts clear; what I was wondering about was not a 70 yr old photo, but a photo from a 70 year old cd, that is my concern
    thanks

9. Well, depending on how they were made. The better quality CDs could last hundreds of years.

The cheap recordable CDs are said to last less than 8 years.

I have some from the early 90s that are still readable.

10. That is if the images are still extant! And they probably won't be. :biggrin:

11. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    I highly doubt you'll be able to find any device that can read cd's 70 years form now. I have a pile of old floppies and not one of my 3 computers has a floppy drive in it. The floppies are 10 years old at most. You get the idea :). You'll have to keep migrating the images to the latest greatest medium to be safe.

On another note, the scans I've seen from the V700 continue to impress me. That's one damn nice flatbed scanner.

Chris

12. DBrim

DBrim

May 30, 2007
    Boston, MA
    Well, I think what W. Ditto is thinking about is how things will change in the next 70 years (like us comparing our digital photos to that negative). Interesting to think about.

13. NikonConvert

NikonConvert

Jul 13, 2005
    Amsterdam
    Some interesting points here. Thanks for all the comments but sorry for kick starting a debate =).

Chris: I am really impressed with the V700 too, just need to take more photos so I can put it through more tests =/