1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympic Gold

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by StL_Don, Aug 14, 2008.

1. I was lucky enough, besides getting to meet Phil K, to attend the Olympic Eventing games in Hong Kong.
    Here's a few photos of the individual gold medal winner from Germany Hinrich Romeike riding Marius.

All shot with the D300, ISO 1600 with the 70-300 VR.
    Needless to say the combination of equipment and night lighting made it challenging.:frown:

On his gold medal winning ride.
    original.
    NIKON D300    ---    300mm    f/7.1    1/500s    ISO 1600

After completing the ride and knowing he had won the gold

original.
    NIKON D300    ---    270mm    f/7.1    1/640s    ISO 1600

And on his victory gallop after the medal ceramony
    original.
    NIKON D300    ---    220mm    f/8.0    1/500s    ISO 1600

Processed on my laptop and posted from Shangai... I hope they look OK.

Don

2. You were able to shoot at the Olympics, that is awesome Don! I saw the post with Phil K and think it is very cool that you two got to hang out. Hong Kong is pretty high on my list of places I would like to visit.

3. Processing on a laptop can be a challenge, but it's fun to have photos first hand.
    I'm sure viewing the equestrian events must have been thrilling.
    I like the expressions on the horse and rider in the second one!

I'm so glad you had a chance to meet Phil and Julian.
    :smile::smile::smile:

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

4. Great set Don. I watched it on TV and looked hard trying to spot you. :biggrin:

Wish you have a pleasant stay in Shanghai.

5. Don,
    that is awesome
    a very nice series
    thanks for sharing these with us

6. that must be quite a thrill Don, neat pics, glad the rider 'tipped his helmet' so you could get his face...

7. It was iffy regarding the photos. The Beijing rules clearly said NO SLR or PRO Cameras, but all I could find
    regarding the HK venue was No Pro Video.
    They never said a word. I saw some people with large photo backpacks in the stands.
    In hindsight I wish I had brought my 300/4 instead of the zoom.

I'm not even trying to do much correction on the laptop... just trusting the RGB numbers that I've got white balance right.
    Dinner with Phil and his family easily rival the thril of the Olympics.

Don

8. We were very close to the group with the German flag that got some TV time, but I don't think we made any of the shots.
    We were right by the Torch and that made the night even hotter!

Don

9. Thanks Greg and Chris.

10. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Hey Bud, thanks for the pics, even though I know you wanted a faster lens, that 70-300VR did a nice job with your great skills!

See you when you are back in town

Wade

11. jamesd3rd

jamesd3rd

May 4, 2007
    So. Cal
    Does that mean they try to limit the use of SLR cameras to journalists with credentials and frown on spectators using SLRs?

If so this could be related to a story I read on SportShooter dealing with who would have access to events like these. The thinking is that eventually only the networks that have the contract to cover such an event will be able to do any photo coverage unless other media outlets are willing to pay a huge licensing fee. I guess that means there may come a time where you won't see any huge lenses at event because FOX or NBC will have exclusive rights to it.

12. nipprdog

nipprdog

Jun 8, 2006
    IN
    Don, congrats on the cool shots, being at the Olympics, and last, but not least, meeting Phil and his family. :biggrin:

13. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    It looks as though you are having a great time in China, glad that you were able to meet Phil and able to shoot the jumping competition. Thanks for sharing your shots.

14. The reason given was that they could interfere with people's view etc. which is understandable.
    They also prohibited umbrellas.

Don

15. Nice pics Don, thanks for sharing.

16. TCMony

TCMony

Jul 20, 2006
    McDonough GA
    Very impressive, and what an opportunity.

17. Sanford504

Sanford504

Mar 27, 2008
    Yeadon, PA
    These look pretty darn good to me! I should be able to get some pretty decent shots of high school night football games this season. They are notorious for having lousy lighting at most schools. My gear this year will include the D300, 70-200 2.8 VR, 300 f2.8. Can't wait for the season to start.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.