Olympic National Park Advice Sought

I am on my way back to the Skagit for bald eagles this December and thought I might spend 2 days at Olympic as I have never been there. Any advice on what to photograph, where to stay ect. in ONP? Thanks.

The place is so large and so diverse that it's difficult to boil it down to a short answer or a two day stay.

There's the beach area of the park that offers amazing seascapes. Hurricane Ridge offers snow capped mountains. There are sections of the park with waterfalls. Then there's the rain forest.

I would probably decide which of these features appeal to you most and then target your stay to that area of the park. For the rain forest, you might look at some of the motels in Forks. Port Angeles has lodging and provides access to the northern section of the park.

Glenn

Last edited:
State College, King of Prussia, PA, LBI NJ
I did a 3 day backpacking trip there April'19. I took my camera and one lens. Just spectacular views all around.

Hurricane Ridge is $30 for a day pass into the park but worth the drive to the top. There was a solid 10 feet of snow surrounding the parking lot and the temps were around 25-30 (in April)

Hoh Rain Forrest is well a given, no need for further explanation. Just explore and have your hiking boots ready. The farther in up the trail along the Hoh River you go the more wild it gets.

Lake Crescent just keeps on going and going and going as you drive around it on Rt 101 I would take make sure this was a stop on your way out of Port Angeles if you are heading to Cape Flattery. It is one of the clearest and bluest water I have ever seen.

If you continue up to Cape Flattery I would suggest at least a day hike on Shi Shi Beach to the Point of Arches. There is day parking at the trailhead but if you plan to camp on the beach (highly recommended) make sure to get a parking permit at the general store in Neah Bay to stay overnight, the overnight parking is somebodies house, have cash for that too. You are on an reservation and will be towed.

Last edited:
We were there two years ago and tried to see it all in three days. We stayed in Port Angels. We actually rented a tiny home on Home Away. We loved our time there. We drove many hours every day to see it. We were there in Sept. I would love to go back and focus on one area at a time and stay there instead of doing so much driving. The Hoh Rainforest was closed to visitors while we were there. We visited Quinalt instead. It was beautiful. Sol Duc Falls was one of our favorites.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
We were there two years ago and tried to see it all in three days. We stayed in Port Angels. We actually rented a tiny home on Home Away. We loved our time there. We drove many hours every day to see it. We were there in Sept. I would love to go back and focus on one area at a time and stay there instead of doing so much driving. The Hoh Rainforest was closed to visitors while we were there. We visited Quinalt instead. It was beautiful. Sol Duc Falls was one of our favorites.
Thanks Terri.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom