Olympic Peninula Trip, eagles, quail

Discussion in 'Birds' started by james thiel, Jul 10, 2007.

1. I just returned from a few days on the Olympic Peninsula. We took our visiting relatives from Virgina with us. It is hard to get good shots when going out with non-photographers. Our first stop we saw an adult eagle at eye level. It was so close I had to put on my 70-200 lens. By the time I got the camera ready to shoot my guest had already gotten too close and scared the eagle away. Oh, well it was only perched on a nice branch overlooking the sound in beautiful light. No big deal right:frown::frown:

We did see lots of eagles, and a nest that with the 500mm was only a little higher than the road and full frame shots into it. The only problem was the eaglet had already fledged. It did return to the nest once and I got a shot of it.

We also saw lots of deer and a mountain goat while hiking at Hurricane Ridge. I posted those shots in the animal forum.

This is the young eagle that just fledged. It sat on a branch next to the nest for a long time and did not fly while we were there.
    original.

Here is the young eagle after it came back to the nest. I liked it because of the pose and the mouth being open.
    View attachment 105056

Here is an adult in nice morining light. The fog had just lifted.
    View attachment 105057

Here the adult is talking to the young eagle.
    View attachment 105058

This is one of the immature eagles sitting in the early morning looking for some food.
    View attachment 105059

This is the new eagle sitting on a log at the beach. A dog walked right up to it before it flew away. I guess it is too young to know better.
    View attachment 105060

Oh, I have to throw in this California Quail. It was shot from the car on a bean bag. These birds are very shy and fast. This is my wifes favorite bird so I had to get a shot of it.

View attachment 105061

2. Jim, these are as good as they get, outstanding. Beautiful shots. You really did hit the jackpot over the weekend. Anyone one of these could be a hanger.

3. Jim,

Some terrific captures of my nemesis bird. I also like the expression of the juvy with his mouth open and the one sitting atop the pine, very cool shots!

Robin

4. Great day!!! Doesn't it drive you up the wals when they scare them away......

5. Great series Jim

Outstanding Clarity

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Wonderful set Jim. Looks like you very well, in spite of the uh, distractions. :biggrin:

7. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    "It is hard to get good shots when going out with non-photographers."

What a load of hooey that quote is. :biggrin: These are as you already know excellent! I"ll be hiring some non-photographers to go out with me if images like this are the result. :tongue: Actually it probably made you concentrate that much harder since you knew you had to work quickly to get the shot.

8. Thanks much Louis. It was a fun trip, I only wish I had more time to spend with the eagles. This is a great spot and one that could get some really nice landing sequences given some time.
    Thanks Robin.

Well it does but it is understandable given the excitement they had seeing an adult eagle so close. They got much better after I explained what happened to them. I also gave them some binoculars to use after that.

Thanks much.

Thanks Frank. I was lucky to have more than one opportunity to get pictures of the birds.

Thanks and I do agree that I had to be aware of the guests, I also explained to them about not getting too far ahead of me and they were fine with that after the fact. This is just part of going out. I think the harder part was not being able to stay in one spot as long as I wanted to.

9. The chemist

The chemist

Jul 22, 2005
    nashville
    Great set! Nice idea giving them binoculars to look through too!

10. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    Wow, great set.

11. Fremlin

Fremlin

Jan 29, 2006
    Scotland
    Love the shot of the quail, it's a very interesting looking bird.

12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The young Eagles photograph as beautiful as the adults

Beautiful shots
    Love the quail to