1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympics Equestrian Jumping Final - many photos

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Phil K, Aug 21, 2008.

1. I went to the final yesterday and it's a great experience. After consulting Don, I decided to us the 80-400VR with the D3. It's my first try at equestrian so I didn't know what to do. Shooting at night was not easy and I was saved by the high ISO ability of the D3. All are shot in M-mode with auto ISO.

original.

original.

original.

original.

original.

#6 Oops, 4 faults
    original.

#7 Another fault.
    original.

#8 I like the design of this fence.
    original.

#9 Look at the spread of this fence. Those horses were magnificent.
    original.

#10 This fault cost him the bronze medal.
    original.

#11 Silver medalists Rolf-Goran Bengtsson and Ninja of Sweden making a sharp turn during the jump-off.
    original.

#12 Gold medalists Eric Lamaze and Hickstead of Canada. A great pair.
    original.

original.

Thanks for looking. I still have lots of photos to process.

2. WOW, Phil!
    These are spectacular!
    Don gave you good advice.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

3. senna

senna

Jan 6, 2007
    San Jose Ca.
    Excellent set Phil, you did very well on these.

4. MeSince83

MeSince83

Apr 3, 2008
    Brooklyn
    Do you know what range the ISO was? They looking really grainy for the D3. I don't think I've seen a D3 with this much grain (i.e. #5 & 11)

Besides that you have some superb shots! I didn't realize the horses jumped so hi.

5. The exif is included - #5: ISO 4000 & #11: ISO 3600.

Nice shots.

6. jaikdee

jaikdee

Feb 25, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Fantastic pictures. Love #3. You had a good position to get that head on shot. These are beautiful horses.
    Janet

7. #10 and #13 are outstanding! You almost never see the rider look back like that (#10).

I shoot some equestrian and you did an exceptional job especially if it's not something you do all the time.

Great images!

_/oe

8. kiwi

kiwi

Jan 1, 2008
    Auckland, NZ
    You D3 guys are making me ill.

VERY nice set Phil. You did real well.

9. These are really great shots and proves once and for all that a proper body can do wonders with the 80-400VR.

10. Excellent shots Phil, especially for a night time event. Where were you shooting from?

11. Hi Virginia. Don is great and he gave me a lot of advices.

Thank you Troy. I was very excited yesterday from beginning to end.

Thank you Josh. They are from ISO 3600 and up and most are ISO 4000. I think they're more grainy than usual because they are crops, and I pushed the shadows up a bit. The taller fences were 1.6 meter high. The horses were amazing.

Thank you very much Jani.

12. Thank you Janet. I took a lot from that angle and the timing of this one looks good.

Thank you Joe. I wish I knew more about sport photography as I don't think I would attend another Olympics in the near future.

Thank you Darren. The D3 is great in low light conditions.

Thank you Kees. The 80-400 indeed performed very well.

Thank you Joe. I was sitting in the spectator stand, 32 rows up.

Hi Andrew. The grains are acceptable to me.

13. Excellent Phil, I had watched this on TV and it was fun to see your images. The horses are beautiful and amazing jumpers. Thanks for sharing.

14. Excellent series Phil! Looks like a lot of fun.

15. Very nice photos!
    You did very well for never having shot at an equestrian event before!
    Hope you will post lots more...

16. Thank you Gordon. The horses were really beautiful.

Thank you very much Anthony. It's like a carnival and everyone was having great fun.

Thank you Chayelle. I have more photos in my gallery :
    http://www.pbase.com/philip_kwong/olympic

17. Phil...
    those are wonderful!
    I am very impressed with your shooting.
    I think I read somewhere in these Equestrian threads you are using the 80-400?
    I have been thinking very, very hard about this lens. A bit concerned
    about it being a bit slow. We shoot birds mostly with the 500mm, but
    I do very much like your shots! I have been hoping a new 80-400 with afs would be released, but it has not happened as yet.

Horse pics are not the easiest to capture. And I believe you did a great job...glad you are posting, and enjoyed your pbase pics, too!

18. Yes, I was using the 80-400VR. It's Don's advice, as he thought the 200-400 would be too big and might disturb other spectators in a packed stadium.

Previously my concern was the slow aperture but now with the D3, I can always use higher ISO to compensate. AF tracking is not particular fast, but tracking a horse from a distance or a slower bird is still okay most of the time.

19. phil...
    incredible
    M mode is great on a camera with auto-ISO and nearly UNlimited low-light capability

nice choice of f/8
    worked so well
    the shots are STELLAR

there's still life in that 80-400VR yet.... isn't there?

thanks for sharing

20. Thanks Greg. And I agree, the 80-400 is still a very useful lens and I hope the replacement will be even better without a big jump in price and weight.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.