Olympus 4/3 type sensor

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by Jeff Mims, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I don't understand what the difference is, between this sensor and the ones in Nikon/Canon. Other than size.
    I should say..what is the pratical difference? An advantage? Theoretical or not?
    I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on the 4/3 type sensor, I really don't understand it.

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    Canon makes there own Nikon uses Sony

3. As far as I know, nearly all compact cameras produce 4:3 images. As it turns out, that's the same as the NTSC TV standard. Not sure what the common link is, if any. SLR/DSLR cams use the 3:2 ratio which I once thought was simply a legacy of 35mm movie film. This apparently goes back much further to the so-called "Golden Rectangle", something with roots in ancient Greece. Interesting stuff to read more about on a rainy day. :wink: For whatever reason, I find 3:2 images more pleasing to look at than 4:3 (content being equal).

4. yoyo

yoyo

Nov 9, 2006
    The Netherlands
  5. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    what yo-yo said. the whole image quality advantage of a Dslr is its larger sensor. the larger pixels in the sensor can gather more light and inherantly have less noise.

they also have a shallower depth of field with a given aperture.

6. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Then what would be the point? I need less noise..not more.:smile:

7. less noise - Canon
    less size - Olympus

better glass - olympus
    more glass to choose from - Nikon

the choices are yours