Olympus 4/3 type sensor

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon Mirrorless' started by Jeff Mims, Jun 15, 2007.

1. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    I don't understand what the difference is, between this sensor and the ones in Nikon/Canon. Other than size.
    I should say..what is the pratical difference? An advantage? Theoretical or not?
    I would appreciate if someone could enlighten me on the 4/3 type sensor, I really don't understand it.

2. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    Canon makes there own Nikon uses Sony

3. As far as I know, nearly all compact cameras produce 4:3 images. As it turns out, that's the same as the NTSC TV standard. Not sure what the common link is, if any. SLR/DSLR cams use the 3:2 ratio which I once thought was simply a legacy of 35mm movie film. This apparently goes back much further to the so-called "Golden Rectangle", something with roots in ancient Greece. Interesting stuff to read more about on a rainy day. :wink: For whatever reason, I find 3:2 images more pleasing to look at than 4:3 (content being equal).

4. yoyo

yoyo

Nov 9, 2006
    The Netherlands
  5. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    what yo-yo said. the whole image quality advantage of a Dslr is its larger sensor. the larger pixels in the sensor can gather more light and inherantly have less noise.

they also have a shallower depth of field with a given aperture.

6. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Then what would be the point? I need less noise..not more.:smile:

7. less noise - Canon
    less size - Olympus

better glass - olympus
    more glass to choose from - Nikon

the choices are yours

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.