Olympus 720SW Impressions - Added Underwater Shot!!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Minuteman3, Jul 22, 2007.

1. I have a bit of a dilemma. On Friday, I picked up a Olympus Stylus 720SW to serve as a backup camera and to do some things my D80 cannot. For example, the Olympus is waterproof to 10 feet and also ruggedly built to stand both heat and cold. Sounded like it could be useful at times, such as at the beach, going swimming, going skiing, and so on.

It's a 7.1 MP camera and so I expected pretty good results. Perhaps even on a par with the D80 under some conditions.

I am sort of under-impressed. I can return the camera on Monday for a full refund, but I still would like to have something to fit these specific harsh conditions. I am posting a selection of pictures ... the originals are full images and I have done virtually no PP on these shots. Some minor sharpening and color correction is all. I'd appreciate any of your thoughts concerning the images.

Went to a party on Saturday ... weather was so-so at best. Here, our son Ryan found a sunny spot to play his DS.

[​IMG]

Indoors the flash was a bit underpowered and there seems to be a lot of noise for an ISO100 image.

[​IMG]

Another one outdoors, also noted a lot of distortion around the bright spots. (The party was actually next door to this home, it's in Seattle and sold earlier this summer for $575,000!! Yikes!!)

[​IMG]

Here's one in the kitchen of the lechon (whole roast pig) which was enjoyed by all, especially the Filipinos present ... including my wife!!

[​IMG]

Finally, the camera does have a "macro" setting which appears to work quite well.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance. I'm not an expert in PP but would be interested to hear if y'all think most of these shortcomings could be fixed with some proper PP. Again, the camera would probably only be used under some pretty harsh weather conditions so perhaps I am being a bit too picky.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2007
  2. These look fine to me.

I go through this with my F30. I use it then I am silly enough to not like the images at first because they don't hold up against the various DSLRs I use.

But the advantages are very much worth the loss of image quality.

3. they look pretty good to me, not really expected to compare to a SLR and prime, so what's wrong to your eyes?

4. MB2006

MB2006 Guest

looks bad to me, I expected more from that camera :confused: 
    actually was looking for it myself .

5. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  6. Thanks all for your comments. I will admit to having been spoiled by the impeccable quality of the D80 and so on. Perhaps I was too critical. I guess I was especially concerned by the noise at even low ISO's.

The weather is supposed to improve tomorrow, perhaps I'll be able to test some shots under a bit better conditions.

Bob thanks for that ... I did not see your thread before. Have you noticed the ISO noise problem I mentioned? I looked at your test image and it looked much better than what I am seeing. The one of our son is at 6.7mm, ISO 200, 1/400 @ f6.3. It seems noisy. I am wondering if I may have gotten a "bad" copy as it sounds from the spec sheets like the sensor and lens combo is probably the same or at least very similar between the 720 and the 770.

Thanks in advance.

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    I got the EXIF off the first image and noted ISO of 200 .... wow, that's horrible. I'm so glad you posted this as I was thinking of picking one up as a vacation/pool/water-activity camera and these results just look oh-so-bad.

Guess I have to shop around some more.

8. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
  9. The purple fringing on the third shot by the roof line is unacceptable. Macro looks nice.

PaulC

10. OK, here's something my D80 cannot do right now ... and probably will not since I'll guess the cost of a special underwater housing is WAY out of my budget ...

[​IMG]

Now, I'll admit I am a bit impressed. This was taken this evening around 8 PM. The pool water is probably a bit murky due to a lot folks using the pool today. And the lighting was late evening, about an hour before sunset. Lots of shadows.

I'm still considering returning it ... but this may push me to go ahead and keep it!!

Cheers!!

Ken

11. TheBear

TheBear Guest

underwater shots are so cool

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.