Olympus micro 4/3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lurker, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Given the rumors of an announcement on the 6th, and Olympus' announcement out of nothing today about their micro 4/3 format that looks very promising (if only they get rid of the EVF and have an optical viewfinder instead...) - it makes you wonder.

Why announce something like this without a camera?

Could Nikon be announcing something similar on the 6th? There are rumors about a Nikon "digital rangefinder" after all...

2. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    too bad there's no camera nor lenses for this system

3. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    As I said - I wouldn't be totally shocked if Nikon introduced something similar tomorrow and Olympus' announcement was just to beat them to that.

Having said that, the only lenses Olympus needs to develop short term (aside from the camera :biggrin:)  are short focal length lenses. Longer focal lengths come with longer barrels anyway so it's not a big deal to use the adapter ring for "regular" 4/3 lenses.

The real positive thing here is that we see a rapidly developing battleground for sub-slr sized cameras with raw format, flash shoe, high image quality sensors and (for P&S size) decent low-light performance.

We can only hope that this experiment by the manufacturers is succesful and doesn't get shut down by a tanking economy.

4. I think what we may be witnessing is the eventual demise of the still frame dslr as we now know it. One addition benefit of removing the mirror is the ability to add motion video to a camera that has removable lenses. Add a hi def evf and the ability to capture burst frames of hd images and instead of single frame captures you shoot many frames and choose the one you like best.

5. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Another benefit of removing the mirror is that you can now focus by shifting the sensor rather than the lens. This allows built-in Tilt/Shift capability if they choose to do so.

I would love to see a "micro DX" format from Nikon but if the rumors are correct, Nikon has chosen to put a DX-sized sensor in a new Coolpix compact.

6. cotdt

cotdt

Jul 14, 2007
    Bay Area, USA
    Actually Nikon had such a system back in the 1980s, and yes it was digital and had interchangeable lenses (including a 14-110mm f/1.4!). I'm sure Nikon would have reintroduced something like this today had they been able to perfect the system. I see some problems moving away from SLRs:

1. Without a SLR-based AF sensor, the contrast-based AF system will be slow, especially with lenses to be used with a large sensor (requires a lot more shift distance to focus than the lenses used in current compacts).

2. Liveview still has a long ways to go before catching up with an optical viewfinder. It also drains battery life.

3. Without a shutter there will be a lot of lag. With a shutter there will be noise (sound) and also more noise (in the picture).

4. Zoom lenses tend to be big and defeat the purpose of the size advantage. So to keep the camera pocketable you will be stuck with prime lenses.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.