Olympus OM-D E-M1X

I just want to add, I've shot some pretty cool stuff using hi-res mode on Olympus bodies and if I didn't shoot more AF-C type subjects I probably would of kept on shooting Olympus bodies. Honestly the M43 sensor size doesn't bother me since it correlates to lens size as well, but something ain't right when I'm getting a higher hit rate with my cheap Nikon J5, with OSPDAF equipped sensor than I would on a top end Olympus body.

That hi-res mode is so awesome though and I could just image how much better it would be on an E-M1X!

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
There has been a lot of negative comment about the camera, much of it from people who are not the target market for this camera.
I will not be buying one, it is not for me.
However you may be interested in this thread at MU43, including the price comparisons and videos:
Reality Check from a Canadian Perspective
It will probably only be possible to get a proper view on it in a year's time, when there is plenty of actual user experience with it.

Real Name
Andy
Kirk Tuck’s writeup seems objective, but it’s a stretch to claim Olympus’ target market for the E-M1X is a video shooter looking for an alternative to a bulky and expensive Steadicam rig. His theory that it can do stills adequately and also do video better than previous generation products sounds a lot like “jack of all trades, master of none” logic.

Although I’m brand new to the Nikon cafe, I have been straddling micro 4/3 and Nikon systems for the last three years. I once had high hopes for the smaller system to do it all, but the C-AF of the D500 and high ISO capabilities of the D750 remain the best solutions for much of my work. At the same time, the extremely good all-around combo of the 12-100 on an E-M1 Mk1 is a joy to shoot and an extremely versatile walkaround setup. It certainly sounds like the latest iteration from Olympus is good, but not a good value at the introductory price. $3000 is too much for most to spend on a Swiss Army Knife when the full size purpose built tools are readily available, or even already in hand.

BTW, I just learned that a USA warranty Nikon Z6 with FTZ can now be purchased for less than $2000 (they’re offering $200 for trade-in of any ILC digital body towards a Z6; $400 towards a Z7). For me, that’s very tempting.

Wow I thought that a lot of people hated on the Z6/7 at time of release, but the bashing of the EM1X is at a whole new level. (Not this thread, but the Internet in general).

Last edited:
Wow I thought that a lot of people hated on the Z6/7 at time of release, but the hate for the EM1X is at a whole new level. (Not this thread, but the Internet in general).
It's clearly a major marketing disaster for Olympus. I suspect it's a pretty good camera - but it was hyped up as a "halo" product, the best that Olympus could possibly do, a camera that would paint the future for m43, a technological tour de force etc etc.

But they screwed the launch by concentrating on features that are incomplete (e.g. the autofocus AI that only works with trains, planes and automobiles), or inappropriate for a camera aimed at action (e.g. the hand held hi res). And to cap it all they took a bunch of internet personalities, including people like Jared Polin who are dyed in the wool FF aficionados, to an indoor sports event and wondered why they ripped the camera apart for delivering poor IQ at ISO 5000. Duh!

I think heads will roll. I hope that the camera succeeds - maybe like the Z6 is now beginning to despite the early negative press.

I think the biggest disappointment of this camera is no better image quality than the 2 year old e-m1 mk2. Three Grand... WOW!

I think the feature set is nice, but comparing it to the Panasonic G9, being almost one third the street price of this new Oly has me dumbfounded.

Real Name
Ian
I think the biggest disappointment of this camera is no better image quality than the 2 year old e-m1 mk2. Three Grand... WOW!

I think the feature set is nice, but comparing it to the Panasonic G9, being almost one third the street price of this new Oly has me dumbfounded.

It has the same EVF (resolution is really lacking compared to all the current top-of the-line mirrorless cameras), same rear LCD, same sensor (but with a new coating on it :rolleyes: ).

The software improvements are nice, and the C-AF does appear to be improved. But you have to buy a whole new camera to get it, and it costs $3k.

I would really be interested to know why the E-M1 II couldn't run the features on the E-M1 X. Honestly, I could care less about Live ND and handheld Hi-Res (it still has artifacting issues). The big thing IMO is fixing the C-AF so that it actually works. Whether or not Olympus ports that over to the E-M1 II in time via a FW update, who knows...

The big thing IMO is fixing the C-AF so that it actually works.
For me, since I have no interest in BIF, I appreciate the more accurate focus contrast detection provides (and Panasonic is King in this area), but sports/wildlife is what they market these cameras to and IMHO that is laughable in the shadow of a D500. High frame rates don't make a S/W camera if the focus can't keep up.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
It's clearly a major marketing disaster for Olympus. I suspect it's a pretty good camera - but it was hyped up as a "halo" product, the best that Olympus could possibly do, a camera that would paint the future for m43, a technological tour de force etc etc.

But they screwed the launch by concentrating on features that are incomplete (e.g. the autofocus AI that only works with trains, planes and automobiles), or inappropriate for a camera aimed at action (e.g. the hand held hi res). And to cap it all they took a bunch of internet personalities, including people like Jared Polin who are dyed in the wool FF aficionados, to an indoor sports event and wondered why they ripped the camera apart for delivering poor IQ at ISO 5000. Duh!

I think heads will roll. I hope that the camera succeeds - maybe like the Z6 is now beginning to despite the early negative press.
Apparently the head of development loves old American movies and this camera is a tribute to one of them: Planes, Trains and Automobiles - Wikipedia

I am late for my comments but I felt appalled to make some observations not implying that I am an expert in the M43 system. I have used Olympus M43 mirrorless cameras for several years in addition to my Nikons. As others have expressed it I believe that the Olympus Zuiko lenses are among the best lenses I have ever used. Their little cameras are a joy to use.

Olympus worked for years with 17 Mp. sensors. For my photography with the mirrorless cameras those are all of the pixels I need. Those using Olympus cameras know that the journey to improve tracking in their AF system has been pretty slow. I have no experience with other mirrorless cameras so I have no idea if there are mirrorless cameras with a superior AF like those present in dSLR bodies. Olympus, which is the brand I am familiar with, has not used in a majority of their cameras phase detection sensors. Phase detection is what makes the AF of dSLR so effective for tracking. Contrast detection is excellent for stationary subjects but not as effective for tracking and continues focus.

Not familiar with the EM-1X but it is evident to me that it is not the camera I need. The majority of my work is landscape photography and I seldom go to enlargements beyond 12x18 inches. For my photography I use the Pen EP-5 and the OM-10 Mk. II, both cameras sport 17 Mp. and I find that their files satisfy my needs. My portraits made with those cameras are also to my entire satisfaction. I do not even dare to try for moving subjects because I know that with the absent phase detection sensors in the AF system the chances for good tracking are practically very low. I know the OM-1 Mk II has integrated in its sensor phase detection AF points but I have no experience with that camera and the reports in the Internet about its effectivity are mixed.

Olympus has stated that they will continue to develop the M43 system. We are already in 2020 and I am sure they will announce a new camera sometime this year that can do better with C-AF. They recently released the OM-5 Mk III which is a small OM-1 Mk II from what I know but I have not used the camera to comment on its AF and I have not seen much in the Internet either.

If 17 and 20 Mp. sensors are all you need, like me you should be happy with the system. If your interest is action and wildlife photography I would be looking somewhere else.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I am late for my comments but I felt appalled to make some observations not implying that I am an expert in the M43 system. I have used Olympus M43 mirrorless cameras for several years in addition to my Nikons. As others have expressed it I believe that the Olympus Zuiko lenses are among the best lenses I have ever used. Their little cameras are a joy to use.

Olympus worked for years with 17 Mp. sensors. For my photography with the mirrorless cameras those are all of the pixels I need. Those using Olympus cameras know that the journey to improve tracking in their AF system has been pretty slow. I have no experience with other mirrorless cameras so I have no idea if there are mirrorless cameras with a superior AF like those present in dSLR bodies. Olympus, which is the brand I am familiar with, has not used in a majority of their cameras phase detection sensors. Phase detection is what makes the AF of dSLR so effective for tracking. Contrast detection is excellent for stationary subjects but not as effective for tracking and continues focus.

Not familiar with the EM-1X but it is evident to me that it is not the camera I need. The majority of my work is landscape photography and I seldom go to enlargements beyond 12x18 inches. For my photography I use the Pen EP-5 and the OM-10 Mk. II, both cameras sport 17 Mp. and I find that their files satisfy my needs. My portraits made with those cameras are also to my entire satisfaction. I do not even dare to try for moving subjects because I know that with the absent phase detection sensors in the AF system the chances for good tracking are practically very low. I know the OM-1 Mk II has integrated in its sensor phase detection AF points but I have no experience with that camera and the reports in the Internet about its effectivity are mixed.

Olympus has stated that they will continue to develop the M43 system. We are already in 2020 and I am sure they will announce a new camera sometime this year that can do better with C-AF. They recently released the OM-5 Mk III which is a small OM-1 Mk II from what I know but I have not used the camera to comment on its AF and I have not seen much in the Internet either.

If 17 and 20 Mp. sensors are all you need, like me you should be happy with the system. If your interest is action and wildlife photography I would be looking somewhere else.
Olympus released two cameras with greatly improved AF for moving objects some time ago, the E-M1 II and the E-M1X. If you find you need that feature then Olympus offers you a solution. Furthermore the Olympus S-AF focussing is better than DSLR focussing for very wide aperture lenses, where DSLRs suffer inaccuracy due the very fine tolerances. Focussing from the sensor avoids the issue and gives very accurate focus.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom