Olympus Out Of The Camera Business?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suspect a lot of people who have been using m4/3 cameras, especially Olympus, are not going to be very happy about this news. Will Panasonic be next? Other camera manufacturers?

As we've all seen, the photographic industry has been affected by the advent of smart phones, each year bringing newer, fancier models with better cameras that do much more than P&S cameras ever did, and that has pretty much decimated and wiped out the P&S sector. People who just want to make snapshots of themselves and their friends and family and who only want a small camera aren't bothering with "real" cameras any more, and why should they, when they've always got their smartphone right in their pocket, ready to use.....

From what I've read, m4/3 has not been as popular in the last couple of years as it was for a while, and so this isn't a total surprise. All the indications that I've seen are that mirrorless cameras, both ILC and fixed-lens ones, are rising in popularity, and at some point probably will overtake DSLRs. Already, just look around at this site: how many of us are still using DSLRs? How many are using two systems, both DSLR and mirrorless? Some have gone solely mirrorless.....

Of course COVID-19 certainly didn't help, either, with its devastating impact worldwide.

Anyway, this is sad and a real shame, but the news is not unexpected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom