1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Olympus Pen E-P1 Review up at DPR

Discussion in 'Non-Nikon System Cameras' started by Tosh, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Focus issues are a turn-off for me.

2. Bluespace

Bluespace Guest

Same...focus issues and low light capability put me off plus the not so good screen. Thing is when Oly fix those things in the next version it will indeed be a very compelling camera. As it stands I think this will sell by the shed load!

Regards

JG

3. I did have one on preorder a month or so ago, but eventually came to my senses. I do think I'll eventually get a M4/3rds camera but think I'll wait for a second generation Oly, or see what Panasonic or perhaps someone else comes out with. The concept is nice, but there are just a few too many shortcomings at this price range. My LX3 works nicely as my small camera for now.

- Marty

4. Tosh

Tosh

May 6, 2005
    NY
    I'll be holding off as well.

For a go light travel camera I'll stick with my D40 and probably replace that with a D3000 if its specs follow the rumors.

8/3 edit: decided to swap the D40 for a D90.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2009
  5. Sangetsu

Sangetsu

Apr 18, 2009
    東金市
    The Pen has been available in Japan for a short while. I read a few reviews yesterday in some Japanese photo magazines, and they seemed rather positive. I thought about picking one up, and I plan to try one out this weekend.

I really liked the early Pen cameras, I may take a look at a few of those (one of the good things about Tokyo is it's plethora of used camera shops) this weekend as well.

6. I've got one and honestly, the focus issue isn't an issue at all. It's fairly swift.

7. IsamuM

IsamuM Not-quite- Moderator

Jan 11, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
  8. Don't you mean, when Panasonic puts out their competitor? ;) 

9. luke_28

luke_28

May 12, 2008
    North
    I like the concept, but think I'll be waiting for the second generation.

10. I really hope Nikon is working on something like this. Would be really cool, but I would want to be able to use an adapter with other Nikon lenses like you can with regular 4/3 lenses.

11. Boris Badenov

Boris Badenov

Feb 4, 2009
    CT
    I'll take Nikonos III with DX sensor...

:cool: 

12. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    There are also rumors that Panasonic is going to introduce a rangefinder like m43 camera later this year...

13. Sangetsu

Sangetsu

Apr 18, 2009
    東金市
    I tried one out in Tokyo yesterday, and I wasn't overwhelmed. The Pen is supposed to be a compact camera with full-size camera features, but it is a little of neither. In real life it is not as small as you might think. In style it is similar to the Pens of old (which I also looked at), but was in fact noticeably larger.

The auto focus seemed adequate enough to me, no quicker or slower than most other point-and-shoots I've tried. Taking a picture wasn't SLR instant, but not that bad either.

All in all it seemed a nice enough camera, but not nice enough to justify the 100k yen starting price. For that money I would rather invest in an old Pen F and a few lenses and experience the genuine article rather than the re-invented one.

14. cwilt

cwilt

Apr 24, 2005
    Denver, CO
    The EP-1 has to many compromises for me, but I have a Panasonic G1 and like it a lot.

15. I'm eagerly awaiting Panasonic's next gen.: Hoping that it is a cross bet. a GH1 and LX3. I am quite impressed w/ Pana's innovations lately. That coupled w/ Leica lenses....yummy!

16. WillyPete

WillyPete

Jan 22, 2009
    London
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  17. Lurker

Lurker

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    According to the noise camera blog the Panasonic GF-1 is pretty much going to be a similar model as the Pen (but without being a fashionista camera).

linky includes picture.

18. If it's real - the Panasonic GF1 looks nice! Can't wait to see specs, sample photos and prices for it.

- Marty

19. Just going to the "Historical Archives" for this one...

:866::866::866:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.