Olympus XZ-1 questions

I know Panther has one and likes it so here's my take (with a couple questions)......

I did a google search and looked at DPReview and all I can say is...wow. In their comparison section of the review I compared the following.

XZ-1
S95
LX5
D5000 (what I'd consider replacing with a compact).

The XZ-1 was much, much sharper than the S95 and LX5 no matter what part of the image I was zoomed in on and in most areas it was sharper than the D5000 image (albiet with a kit lens I'm sure). It was ever so slightly noisier at base ISO, but very minor and probably only noticable at 100% zoom. Oh and the f1.8-f2.5 is pretty astonishing.

So, now I'm considering replacing my D5000 with this camera. I bought the D5k as a backup and more importantly for my wife to use....but she just hasn't used it much at all. I'm thinking something smaller like the xz-1 might get her going a little better. Couple questions:

1. How small is the xz1? Is it pocketable?
2. How user friendly is it? Would a non-camera person be able to use it easily and get decent pictures (she does know a little bit from me talking about photography all the time).

I would be using this too some..it seems like a great option for taking to the classroom and taking photos of my students with out the obtrusiveness of the D5k + Sigma 50 f1.4.

1. How small is the xz1? Is it pocketable?
2. How user friendly is it? Would a non-camera person be able to use it easily and get decent pictures (she does know a little bit from me talking about photography all the time).

Nate,
Let me see if I can be of some assistance...

1) Definitely bigger than the S95 so I'd say it's okay for a purse but not really pocketable in general

2) Truth be told, I shoot in RAW and usually in Aperture or Shutter priority mode. It appears to be quite user friendly though but IMHO, you've got to shoot in RAW to get the most out it...

Nate,
Let me see if I can be of some assistance...

1) Definitely bigger than the S95 so I'd say it's okay for a purse but not really pocketable in general

2) Truth be told, I shoot in RAW and usually in Aperture or Shutter priority mode. It appears to be quite user friendly though but IMHO, you've got to shoot in RAW to get the most out it...

Well, that's not what I was hoping to hear (about the RAW). I use CaptureNX2 for editing and the Olympus RAW files wouldn't be compatible and I don't want to get another software. I was hoping that the jpeg output would be really good on it to make this a true, high quality P&S (high IQ for a P&S that is). I have no problem with aperture priority as that's where it's at and the wife understand apertures.

I guess I'll just lug the D5000 or D90 around for now until Nikon get's their heads out of their bums and comes up with something worth having in this part of the market.

Thanks for replying and helping Panther.

Actually,
From what I understand, the Panasonic LX5 does better in JPG mode so that might be best for her :smile:

The XZ-1 is intriguing to me. I am going to try and go to a store that has one on the floor and play with it and take a couple of sample shots to see how it performs. If I like it I'll pick one up for my wife to use to take shots of our 4 month old son when I'm not home to pull out the D700.

I posted some basic samples on another thread:
https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showpost.php?p=3581097&postcount=38
Make sure you click the links and have a look at the images at full size.
Artefacts will be due to the hosting site's compression so don't view them too rigidly. They're just snapshots but will give you an idea of what you get shooting jpeg and then posting to the web for use in forums like this or facebook.

The camera is not as pocketable as the S95, due to the protruding lens (Same as LX-5). It's still smaller than the G12.

Using it is a doddle. It has the basic modes for beginners, and the scene modes all have very clear explanations of what they do.
Pick it up and use it.

It also offers full manual, although not as intuitive as a proper DSLR with all the bells.
It's perfect as an "afterthought" camera. Going out somewhere and you don't need your D90, but just might want some photos? This is perfect.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom