OM-D E-M1 gets leaked

PSA: OM-D E-M1 gets leaked

It appears to be real and not a hoax. Somehow I doubt that the photographic world isn't clamoring for an Olympic GH3. If it really sells for the rumored $1500 price, Canon will sell 1000 SL1 cameras for every one that Olympus sells.

Mainstream pros have never, and probably will never, buy 4/3 sensor cameras in significant numbers. Even for enthusiasts there is not enough IQ bang for your buck. I think only Fuji understands the upper end mirrorless market.

Olympus has some standard 4/3 gems like the 50-200 2.8-3.5, 150 f/2 and the 35-100 f/2, that would be brought back to life by this camera. I think it looks pretty darn good and I prefer the retro design over the modern SLR look. Even if this were to be a low seller, Olympus needs a flagship body. M43 is the only small system that's nearly fleshed out. Fuji and NEX are still boutique cameras. Working pros can actually use M43 in their work flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mainstream pros have never, and probably will never, buy 4/3 sensor cameras in significant numbers.
Working pros can actually use M43 in their work flow.
How unusual. Two working pros disagreeing. :rolleyes:

Actually, you're probably both right. Working pros can use u4/3 gear, but most will never try. There's little motivation to reduce weight for pay jobs, and money is tight.

A great move from olympus in the race to bankruptcy. They wanted to make sure they stuck their hand up and said me me me me !!!!! $1500...outrageous.

Not to mention that the camera is HIDEOUS.

The D4 isn't a high volume seller. I'm pretty sure Nikon sells more D7100 bodies than all the D800 and D4 sales combined. The E-M1 is positioned to be a flagship camera and a smooth transition of their standard 4/3rd line. If anything, the replacement E-M5 will probably get the bulk of the sales, but I think the E-M1 is still necessary to release to close off loose ends and to give Olympus M43 users a truly professional body. To me, it kinda looks like an F6, but with more angular features! It still looks small, probably about the same size as the E-M5, but with an integrated grip. Plus Olympus ain't going anywhere. Sony's their Sugar Mama now!

Nikon F6:
http://pds.exblog.jp/pds/1/200712/26/13/d0085413_19543238.jpg

lol Jonathan, the em1 is no d4. Drawing comparisons to make it a "flagship" don't really hold any water IMHO. A flagship of what exactly ? and why isnt the omd flagship enough ? There isn't anything the em1 does spectacularly well on the surface. The d4 is superb at night, superb at tracking moving objects with a high level of accuracy, is of course full frame and is carved out of a piece of granite.

What exactly are the em1 highlights where it's top of the pile ? Olympus is kidding itself if it thinks its going to be a genuine competitor in this market by delivering a product with very little improvement whatsoever at the heart of it...the sensor. Bruce is 100% correct in that it is not genuinely a mass market pros alternative by any measure. It's only option is to play to its core strengths and appeal to the market for what it is. Right now it looks like a severe inferiority complex.

A big camera should have a big sensor, otherwise the whole convenience of a small body thing goes out the window.
Since Sony bought 11% of Olympus last year they should have gone with an aps-c 24mp sensor and made it A-mount. That way they would have a real cool retro body with the latest and greatest in tech.

I've shot with almost all the Nikon FX pro bodies. To me it's all the same, I could produce nice shots with any and all this gear. Small sensor, big sensor isn't that big of an issue nowadays. There is nothing like the 75mm 1.8 for FX. Nikon's been too freaking lazy to make a 135mm f/2 replacement. I've compared the 100-300 OIS to the 80-400 G VR-II. I honestly prefer the 100-300 on an OM-D. Same quality, better IS and nowhere near being as bulky.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It takes more than a Pro Camera to sell cameras to professionals. To go along with those pro cameras, Nikon and Canon have pro support programs and expedited repairs. Olympus doesn't even do their own camera repairs in the US; they outsource it to Precision Cameras. According to the Lens Rental article the average repair time is 40 days. There's probably as many working pros using Olympus film cameras as there are µ4/3 Olympus'.

The E-M5 will probably prove to be a one hit sales wonder as a high end µ4/3 camera selling for full pop. µ4/3 buyers are now conditioned to wait a while for new cameras to drop to half price before buying them. The E-P5 was introduced in the US with a free VF-4 if you bought the kit with the 17/1.8.

I personally think the SLR form factor for µ4/3 doesn't makes much sense. The cameras are small and with it held up to your eye, you cover 3/4 of the back of the camera so it's hard to work controls back there. The Fuji X, NEX6 and GX7 cameras have the more sensible form factor for full sized humans, rather than Munchkins. My money is on Fuji for the long haul.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The real, grown-up question, is are there enough NEX users out there willing to buy big, heavy, expensive lenses. If you build it, they will come. is a line out of a movie about long dead ball players that reappear to play in the corn fields of Iowa. It may sound a lot like the camera industry, but it isn't. Camera executives wish it was as easy as bringing dead people back to life in order to sell more cameras.

I've shot with almost all the Nikon FX pro bodies. To me it's all the same, I could produce nice shots with any and all this gear.
Even if this were true, how does just justify a $1500 m4/3 body with no real advantages in terms if image quality if the existing omd ? Fine produce your "you beaut" camera but sell it the right price at least.

And the reason I'm commenting about it is that the flagships tend to be the signal of what's to come. What's going to trickle down to the lower end models. By the looks I things the best Olympus has to offer is the same sensor without an AA filter. that's a sad state of affairs right there.

The eps and the em1 should have been the launch of new gen sensors. Now Olympus shooters should rightly scratch their heads and wonder whats to come...is this is good as it gets ? Olympus' answer is "it's good enough now". I bet a lot of users will be looking at what the gx7 can produce.

Even if this were true, how does just justify a $1500 m4/3 body with no real advantages in terms if image quality if the existing omd ? Fine produce your "you beaut" camera but sell it the right price at least.

And the reason I'm commenting about it is that the flagships tend to be the signal of what's to come. What's going to trickle down to the lower end models. By the looks I things the best Olympus has to offer is the same sensor without an AA filter. that's a sad state of affairs right there.

The eps and the em1 should have been the launch of new gen sensors. Now Olympus shooters should rightly scratch their heads and wonder whats to come...is this is good as it gets ? Olympus' answer is "it's good enough now". I bet a lot of users will be looking at what the gx7 can produce.
The advantage is in the overall system and not the sensor alone. Take for example the 75mm 1.8. When paired with the OM-D and 5 axis IBIS, you can shoot in relatively low light due to the fast aperture, solid IS system and not haul around a lens the size of a 200 f/2 VR! The benefits are real. The only thing really lacking with M43 is solid continuous focus similar to the Nikon 1. I've said it here before, the perfect mirrorless camera would be a combination of the E-M5 and Nikon V1. If the E-M1 manages to do proper AF-C...I think this camera will be insanely good. I've shot the OM-D side-by-side to the D800 and there were times I just preferred the OM-D image output.

These shots are just not possible with a Nikon kit without a major bulk increase -

Taken with OM-D & 75 1.8:
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The advantage is in the overall system and not the sensor alone. Take for example the 75mm 1.8. When paired with the OM-D and 5 axis IBIS, you can shoot in relatively low light due to the fast aperture, solid IS system and not haul around a lens the size of a 200 f/2 VR! The benefits are real. The only thing really lacking with M43 is solid continuous focus similar to the Nikon 1. I've said it here before, the perfect mirrorless camera would be a combination of the E-M5 and Nikon V1. If the E-M1 manages to do proper AF-C...I think this camera will be insanely good. I've shot the OM-D side-by-side to the D800 and there were times I just preferred the OM-D image output.
i dont disagree with almost any of that but is that the discussion ? im not denying nor questiomning the relevance or advantages of the m4/3 system. i'm questioning the sanity of releasing a $1500 body with what appears to be very little improvement in its image quality.

as for the 2 shots, the first clearly the advantages are evident. in saying that, the issues with dynamic range are also evident. but you got the shot with a tiny kit and if thats whats important then thats great.

i dont see the merit of the 2nd shot. looks like a wide angle shot i could quite easily achieve with my s100 let alone the 16-35VR.

as for noting differences in the omd or d800, i too have seen many times when the images from a fuji or rx100 are preferable or little difference. but they are in circumstances where the camera and lens combination are largely irrelevant. one could run the same argument about lens vs lens. that ive seen images from a 55-200VR that are fine compared to a 200VR or a 70-200VR but you dont buy great lens' or any equiepment only to use them in circumstances where any old peice of equipement will do.

i dont disagree with almost any of that but is that the discussion ? im not denying nor questiomning the relevance or advantages of the m4/3 system. i'm questioning the sanity of releasing a $1500 body with what appears to be very little improvement in its image quality.

as for the 2 shots, the first clearly the advantages are evident. in saying that, the issues with dynamic range are also evident. but you got the shot with a tiny kit and if thats whats important then thats great.

i dont see the merit of the 2nd shot. looks like a wide angle shot i could quite easily achieve with my s100 let alone the 16-35VR.

as for noting differences in the omd or d800, i too have seen many times when the images from a fuji or rx100 are preferable or little difference. but they are in circumstances where the camera and lens combination are largely irrelevant. one could run the same argument about lens vs lens. that ive seen images from a 55-200VR that are fine compared to a 200VR or a 70-200VR but you dont buy great lens' or any equiepment only to use them in circumstances where any old peice of equipement will do.
The second shot was taken at 1/20th at ISO 400 at the equivalent of 150mm with no motion blur other than the guy walking. I don't think my 70-200 or a 200 f/2 could do that. I should know, I own the 70-200 and I've owned a 200 f/2. I've also owned a 16-35, and I don't think the VR holds a candle to the 5-axis IBIS. I think the merit of the E-M1 will be in focusing standard 4/3 lenses such as the 50-200 2.8-3.5, 150 f/2, 35-100 f/2 & 90-250 2.8. These telephoto lenses are legendary in their own right. $1500 for a solid sensor, top of the line stabilization and razor sharp glass is a pretty good deal to me.

The second shot was taken at 1/20th at ISO 400 at the equivalent of 150mm with no motion blur other than the guy walking.I don't think my 70-200 or a 200 f/2 could do that. I should know, I own the 70-200 and I've owned a 200 f/2.
sorry, i dont see the merit in it. not like its a razor sharp image either. thats just me though. how many people are really going to that Jon ? and do you think thats what they had in mind when they had the 75/1.8 on the drawing board ?

if you reflect the broader market then olympus will be cheering. something tells me though its a very small market indeed and the em1 will tank just as badly as the ep5. not cos of what it is but cos of what it costs.

sorry, i dont see the merit in it. not like its a razor sharp image either. thats just me though. how many people are really going to that Jon ? and do you think thats what they had in mind when they had the 75/1.8 on the drawing board ?

if you reflect the broader market then olympus will be cheering. something tells me though its a very small market indeed and the em1 will tank just as badly as the ep5. not cos of what it is but cos of what it costs.
The only thing that could save the EM1 IMO is if it offers some new technology in the focus area, if it had a new hybrid phase/contrast module that finally gave M43 decent continuous tracking ability then maybe it would be worth the step up from the EM5 otherwise it's just bigger with no real benefits... And big and M43 would not be better to me...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom