On a mountain top

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by Doug, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    One never knows what they may find in a picture.

I'd taken this last fall I believe.

[​IMG]

I was going through a few pictures last night for uploads, and thought, well this is a nice image of the Chimney Tops. Then I got to looking at 100% crop level, and was very surprised to find there something on my image at the top of the mountain. I knew there was a trail there, but didn't know that the trail comes out right on top. Awesome. I'll have to walk that trail soon. Anyone up for it?

For a limited time, you can click this link then click O for original size to see what's on top in better detail.

http://fotogafer.smugmug.com/gallery/2623422#138464214-L-LB

Doug

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Cool
    I can see somebody on top of the mountain in the orig:>)))
    Pretty shot

3. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    I suppose you could say I couldn't see the "trees" for the forest this time... ;)

Thanks Gale. I was going for a fact for the more global clear shot of the Chimneys. Many days they are shrouded in haze. This day, was very clear though, for nice detail. Lens 200VR. Camera D2X.

4. bruceh4

bruceh4

Jan 16, 2006
    Loudon, TN
    Maybe 3 people

There are at least 2 people and maybe a third in the original. To the right of the person standing there is an orange dot which maybe the third person sitting admiring the view. There is a 2nd person sitting at the right of the peak in a black shirt or maybe a back pack.

Bruce

5. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    that was my count too Bruce, 3.

6. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Like finding a needle in a haystack...good catch doug

7. That would be a terrific climb!

8. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    it's a good and VERY popular trail with a scene water display at the trailhead, then it starts a rather dark and deep ascent, needless to say!

thanks Brian.

9. Yep, I can see the folks on top of the mountain on the right.
    Here is a thought Doug: when you get up there, how about an image of the view? It looks like a beautiful area.

10. Doug

Doug

Jan 17, 2006
    East TN
    For anyone not in the know, this is an area called "The Chimneys" located in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. (The most visited park in the National Parks system in the US) This is not because it's necessarily the most scenically spectacular, but rather because of it's location in the middle of a huge populous zone in the southern states. It's a popular travel destination for Floridians, on up the coast, Carolinas, Georgia, lots of people within a day's travel distance.

I would like to make it up there as soon as I can get me a good photo hiking buddy or maybe go with my friend from work.

But in general, people that come to the Smokies seem to have a good time there. It can be a very beautiful place.

I look forward to getting back to our high peak, 6000+ feet now that the road is opening back up after winter. (Clingman's Dome road) The road is not a through road, only goes to the summit.

11. Haha. Stands out in the bright neon green.