On assignment - Shooting a drunk driver victim...

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Jonathan F/2, Jul 8, 2005.

1. I did a quick photo shoot yesterday in San Diego flying in from LA for about 3 hours, just to shoot this extrodinary woman. This lady was a professional trained dancer up until a car accident which claimed her right leg. The person who hit her, unfortunately was a drunk driver. After losing her leg, she decided to help other people with disabilities. Through her near death experience, she offers hope for those who don't have any. Working at a non-profit handicapped fitness center, she helps raise funds to keep the establishment opened. Anyways, I'm not really a PJ photographer, but here are my shots. Any feedback or critiques are welcome :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Extremely well done Jonathan.

Since you had a bad accident, I am sure this has had quite an impact on you.

Much praise to that great lady as well.

Turn this into the paper Jonathan.

I am truly happy you are coming along so well.

Photojournalism is a great type of photography. Add it to your portfolio :>))

3. DAVE VAN

DAVE VAN

Feb 22, 2005
    New Jersey
    Very nice job Jonathan. You have done a very good job in capturing the spirit of this remarkable person. I think you have a natural talent in capturing images of people. There are truly some amazing and remarkable people in the world and we are fortunate to once in a while to meet some of them. Once again you did a great job and thanks for sharing them with us.

4. We were talking, and she was hit at the same speed and impact as me. The difference being she was hit right in the center of the vehicle and I was nicked on the side...both of us were thrown 30 feet. In many ways, I could of lost my leg or even my life, so this photoshoot was very touching to me.

In regards to this shoot, I was doing it for an ad campaign, and unfortunately had to work with an art director during the shoot, which was somewhat stifling. I think overall the shoot went well.

Next on assignment: 2005 Comic Con San Diego, next week! :p

5. Nice work.

6. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    I'm impressed Jonathan. Your photographic vision amazes me everyday.

Cheers,

7. Thanks guys, I think I still got a long way to go, before reaching the PJ eye of Peter! :)

PS - Sorry if the colors and contrast are off, I've been editing off an LCD and I can't tell for the life of me if the colors are correct! I need to invest in a nice Sony or Lacie Monitor!

8. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great series of images, Jonathon. I enjoyed reading the story of this poor lady's fate...and it is so honorable of her to dedicate her time to helping others.

9. On a side note, while going through the airport, my leg plate and screws kept alerting the metal detectors! I get enough hassle with the security guys going through my camera gear! :p

10. Jonathan, in addition to what others have already said, I must say that for me that last image is a very powerful one! Well done!

Out of curiousity, how did you manage to wind up with this job? I don't know you other than from your postings here so no offense intended but I thought you chased the stars in Hollywood ;)

11. Hi Kevin,

I primarily shoot celebrities, but if I come across a paying gig I'm definitely not going to turn it down (One of the perks about being a freelancer)! As photographers, shouldn't we be versatile with everything we shoot? :wink:

12. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Jonathon,

With respect to shooting celebrities, I was shooting all day in downtown Chicago on Wednesday and came across a film being shot. I asked the security person if they were shooting indoors or out and he told me to keep walking because he said that I was paparazzi because I had expensive camera equipment. I told him that I was a firefighter and he didn't believe me saying that firemen can't afford expensive cameras like mine. I snickered at him and walked away. Turns out, Eminem and 50 cent were in the building shooting. Later in the day, I happened to walk down Michigan Avenue and ran into another film being made with Jennifer Anniston and Vince Vaughn...I missed the shot of Jennifer and caught a lousy shot of Vince...but at least they didn't accuse me of being a paparazzi!!! :eek:

13. I know people who were shooting the Jennifer Aniston movie. If you got decent shots, you could of sold those for several thousand dollars! :wink:

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Trust me when I tell you...the shot that I got of Vince Vaughn was junk.

See what I mean?

15. Hi Frank,

Here's an example of a paparazzi shot...

6yh9v7.

Tara Reid and Paris Hilton at an Athens (Greece) beach.

Not mine, but using it as an example. A proper paparazzi shot is usually shot in portrait mode (for the mags) and you want to have the celebrity doing something interesting. People think being a paparazzo is scummy, but it does require a combination of techniques derived from sports shooting, covert ops, and pure luck! :)

16. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Well Jonathon...anything that I captured while waiting along Michigan Avenue was purely luck...especially considering that I had absolutely no clue who Vince Vaughn was until someone said, "There he is in the red shirt"...I started shooting as though I had a machine gun. The back of his head was the best I could capture. I guess I need to pay better attention to show business soI know who these people are!!!!! :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

17. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Are too. One of the best in fact. We're real luck to have you and your photos on this forum!

18. Jonathan, thanks for sharing these images. You are very talented. The last shot is my favorite!! Keep up the good work!! :D :D :D

19. Outstanding Jonathan

Very sensitively done, great colours, really think you've done a fantastic piece of work here. Thanks a lot for sharing with everyone.

20. Thanks Peter for the praise, I really look up to your work and getting a compliment from you means a lot! :)