1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

On disposable dogs....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Holmes, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    While sitting at my desk in my shop today, I looked out the window and spied a dog walking down a side street like it knew where it was going. To my horror, it stepped off the side walk and right out into the busy main street in front of my business. How it managed to avoid a quick death was beyond me but it made it across the street, crossed my car park, and came straight into the building - my overhead door was open. I opened the door to my office and the dog came in, looked around a bit, layed down and immediately went to sleep.

She's a young Siberian husky who's recently had a litter. I examined her while she rested and discovered pad abrasions, a poorly fitted collar far too tight, split nails, terribly matted coat, assorted lacerations from probable confrontations, and a soft tissue swelling. Her wonderful tail has a fine blood spray throughout, probably from the bleeding pads.

She was very thirsty and I rationed water to her in small amounts over the next few hours. While she slept and drank, I assembled my 'McKinley Street Irregulars' and sent them out with photos of the dog to try and find the owner. They saturated the neighbourhood in all four directions from my place of business. None of the neighbours recognised her.

After the dog was rehydrated and rested a bit, I took her out on a lead (that was a new experience for her!), and walked around hoping she might give me some indication of where her home might be. When off the lead, she would approach every car that pulled into a drive way or parked on the street side to see if it might be her 'people'. She was obviously completely lost but trying to find her place. Damned heartbreaking to watch.

I'll be placing a 'Found' advert but I don't expect much as this animal exhibits all the signs of a dumped mutt.

She's home with me now, has had a hot meal and a good romp with my Rott mongrel, Gizmo. Cleaned her up a bit and gave her a good brushing - you would not believe the copious amount of hair I took out of this poor pooch. I think she's been on her own for some time given the condition of her coat and pads.

The newcomer is going to need some veterinary attention which has been arranged for later in the week and my photography account will have to take the hit - no wonder I have no exotic glass, eh?!

She's a beautiful young husky, smallish in stature, with a wonderful temperament. Once she's rehabbed a bit and up to full health, I'll find her a good home, but I gotta tell ya....

if I ever catch a human in the act of dumping a dog I'll not regret nor apologise for my response :Angry:

2. Schlitz

Schlitz

Apr 22, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    Dave Talboys
    You're a good person, Holmes! Thanks for taking her in and nursing her back to health. We have a cat and dog - the cat was dumped in front of our house, and our daughter rescued the dog in the Wal-Mart parking lot. She couldn't have been more than 6 weeks old at the time. Both animals are the most loving and happy pets we have ever had - no regrets on the vet bills we paid to make them a part of our family.

3. You're a good person to take in the dog like you did...

4. I'm glad it was you she found Holmes. I just wish there were more people like you in the world.

Marlene

5. Jon Neely

Jon Neely

Sep 1, 2008
    Fresno, Ca
    man do i love huskies, man if you where in CA i would consider taking her off your hands.

Good luck and good job.

Jon

6. Holmes

Kudos to you sir! I hope you can find a loving home for that Husky. We live outside the city and country drop offs are an unfortunate fact of life. One winter I came home from work and saw a border collie sitting in the middle of the highway. It was extremelly cold and the dog looked distressed. I opened the pass. door and whistled and she jumped in like she knew me all her life. No collar or ID and dumped at minus 30. Simply a young and highly intelligent dog dumped like yesterdays newspaper. The kids named her "Keeper" but we already had too many pets. It took two weeks but I found her a good home with a local sheep rancher and she is now a well cared for working dog. Sad to say but we are foster parents and things aren't much better for children. In a perfect world people should mature, fall in love then have kids but some people have difficulty following that order........

Cheers

Ted:smile:

7. we are DOG people....
    and this thread warms my heart
    a wonderful thing you did

very wonderful
    show us some pictures when you can.... please

8. You are such a good person for doing this...
    When I read things like this I get so angry and wish there was a law that would jail these morons.
    I won't call them animals as they are not fit enough to be called one and are way below the level of any animals....

Holmes, I'm with you, if I'd ever caught someone dumping any animal...
    Well I just wouldn't be a nice guy at the particular point of time....
    Thanks Holmes for giving this wonderful dog a good chance in life...

9. wgilles

wgilles

Apr 25, 2008
    NJ
    I think she found you! Thanks for being so kind

10. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    my golden was also dumped after she had puppies

we were lucky to get her and she's happy now

11. someday when your being judged by a higher power: you will be deemed a good person...

I am sure this dog will return the love and affection 100 times over the worth of that high end glass!

12. You can judge the character of a man by the way he treats animals. So here we see the best (you) and the worst (the slimeball that dumped the dog). Good for you!
    Glass can wait a bit for what's important.
    Notice my pic is of my owner - a relationship of 15 years.

13. Okay, I gotta be nice and control my red-headed temper! I'm so glad you had such a big heart that you could take in that beautiful husky and show her what loving care is! As for the "creep" that dumped her, I'll just kindly keep my mouth shut - (leave it to you imagination what I'd like to say!) I wish we could have her - my kids would adore having a "snow dog!" Sadly, hubby won't allow it. I hope you do find a great home for her and please keep us posted!

14. So true. I have been quoting this since many years.

15. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Your story really warmed my heart Holmes. You are a very kind person and I applaud you for your kindness to the poor animal.

16. She's lucky she found you.....what a sad story. :( 

17. extremely nice of you..great heart...

both of my dogs came from a dog rescue ....one had been in a crate for 7 months, he was 8 months old when we got him and could barely walk...
    both have turned out to be incredible little guys and are part of our family...

18. doobes

doobes

Aug 15, 2006
    Reston, VA
    Good on you. Well done.

Our Lab mix came from the parking lot of Cracker Barrel. My wife and children happened to stop there and the approximately 8 month old pup got in the car when they opened the door. There aren't any houses near this particular establishment so we knew she had been dumped.

She was thin and had evidently been on her own for a while. She is extremely gentle with humans, but has a profound dominant reflex around other dogs. It's been 6-7 years and that is dissipating a bit, but we still have to watch her when in company of other dogs.

She's been a good pet. Sheds way too much as she has some chow in her (dander!) so we clip her 2-3 times a year to help manage it.

19. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Bless you for taking her in....I seriously hope there's a special spot reserved for folks who dump dogs. A painful one.

20. Loki_D_Wolf

Loki_D_Wolf Guest

Bravo!

I plan on getting a Husky later this year. You're a great human being for doing this. No matter what kind of dog it is. I personally thank you. Humans can be the worse "animals" at times.

Post some pics of the dog!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.