On Guard

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Tim Z, Jan 4, 2006.

1. As most of you proboably know, the male California Quail will typically stand guard while the female goes about her business. In this case, the male was standing guard while the female was having a bath. And yes, he was looking the other way. :smile:

Cheers
    Tim

[​IMG]

2. Gorgeous shot....Lorrie jsut called me from Phoenix AZ to tell me about all the quail she sees there, wonder if they are the same species

3. Not likely; probably Gambel's or Scaled Quail down in Pheonix.

Thanks for the comments Mike. This is one of my favourite shots since I got my DSLR. :smile:

t

4. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Nice shot of a beautiful bird, Tim!

5. rbsmith

rbsmith

Apr 13, 2005
    Saltillo, Ms
    Tim, that is a wonderful shot of a beautiful bird.

6. That's a nice one Tim, is that at your place, we don't seem to get the quails up here.

Martin

7. They end at Nanaimo :biggrin: Well, maybe Parksville...

8. Excellent shot Tim. We are loaded with quail around here but none that beautiful.

9. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Beautiful shot Tim. :smile:

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    He is sooo beautiful

11. Kudos. Another to add to your collection ot really nice bird portraits.

12. Hi Martin

Yes, this is at my place, down by my pond and creek. We had about 40+ quail hanging around this year. One day when I was in my blind, a Cooper's Hawk flew in and snatched a quail. Unfortunately, it landing in behind a bunch of bushes and I couldn't get a clear shot. Once I stepped out of the blind, it flew off with the quail in it's talons.

t

13. This is a fine shot! Perfect colors and exposure! We have them here up in Duncan during the summer, but I don't see them during the winter at all.

14. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Great capture, Tim. What a classic shot of the Quail. Outstanding detail!

15. Have to say one of my favourite shots I have seen in a while Tim, would luv to see what the original looks like as Im sure the web size is not doing it any justice :) Great job!

16. Thanks Keith, it is one of my faves too.

I made an 8x10 print of this image and my wife likes it better (as do I) of any of the prints I have done so far. For some reason this image really transfers to print well.

t

17. start thinking t-shirts, cups, mouse pads :tongue: :biggrin: :biggrin: