On-location backup and displaying device?

I was looking at the Epson P-7000 multimedia photo viewer as a tool to

1. Pop my CF card into on location for backup.
  2. Show to customers on location (people I don't know, at sport events, where I could show them what I've got).
  3. Use it to triage photos before I upload to my computer.
  4. Transfer the ones I don't delete to my desktop.

But when I went into my local camera store the guy said they don't carry them anymore because the netbook market costs the same and offers more.

Anyone using any form of tablet to do the above 3 things?

Ed

I was looking at an iPad yesterday, the new 64 GB ones cost about the same as the Epson P-7000, but only hold 64GB as opposed to about 80 GB on the smaller Epson. On the plus side though it does more, and it's way sexier to show fresh photos on, including a small portfolio.

I talked with a photographer who works at the Apple Store in Tacoma, he said that it will copy the RAWs as well as JPGs, down-side is that it will only download from a camera, so no card adapters.

The 64 GB iPad 2 is about $700, of course they're in short supply and the store never knows how many they have coming in, leading.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
When I was buying, I purchased the 160 GB Sanho Colorspace product. It even has user replaceable hard drives.... I've used them for several years, including a trip to India for 3 1/2 weeks.

Not as large a display as the Epson, but much, much cheaper.

I was looking at an iPad yesterday, the new 64 GB ones cost about the same as the Epson P-7000, but only hold 64GB as opposed to about 80 GB on the smaller Epson. On the plus side though it does more, and it's way sexier to show fresh photos on, including a small portfolio.

I talked with a photographer who works at the Apple Store in Tacoma, he said that it will copy the RAWs as well as JPGs, down-side is that it will only download from a camera, so no card adapters.

The 64 GB iPad 2 is about $700, of course they're in short supply and the store never knows how many they have coming in, leading.
Oddly, the sales person was incorrect about card adapter/readers. The Apple Camera Kit ($30) has both a USB dongle and a secnod dongle that's an SD card reader. There's also a great third party CF reader that's the same form as the SD Apple reader. I forget the name, but a quick Google search should turn it up. There have been a few recent apps and devices pop up that have put the iPad back on top of the list of field viewing/storage devices. I haven't read any reports or reviews of apps for Android devices, but I'm an Apple iPhone/iPad junkie, so I haven't looked very hard :tongue:

Oddly, the sales person was incorrect about card adapter/readers. The Apple Camera Kit ($30) has both a USB dongle and a secnod dongle that's an SD card reader. There's also a great third party CF reader that's the same form as the SD Apple reader. I forget the name, but a quick Google search should turn it up. There have been a few recent apps and devices pop up that have put the iPad back on top of the list of field viewing/storage devices. I haven't read any reports or reviews of apps for Android devices, but I'm an Apple iPhone/iPad junkie, so I haven't looked very hard :tongue:
The CF dongle is in this Terry White blog post, along w/ some other tips/software for using the iPad.

I've had my iPad for one week and I've incorporated it into my photography and business work flow. I'm not ready to say that I love it but it's a multi-purpose tool that I look at as a necessity. Have a look at my blog to read about my initial thoughts and how I'm using it.

http://edbeckphoto.com/

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom