On site printer

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Raul_T, May 30, 2007.

1. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    What kind of printers do you use when doing on site printing? Do y'all use dye sub printers? Do any of y'all use higher end "home" inkjet printers? When choosing a printer, do you want to choose one with at least six cartridges and is eight better? Thanks in advance!

-Raul

2. Sorry I cant help the companies I shoot for have gotten away from viewing monitors and printers and all sales are on-line, I will be anxious to see what responses you get

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I use online sales as well.

4. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Mike, why did those companies do that? Logistical nightmare, cost, both?

5. I work for zonephoto.ca and we use Epson Pro printers on site. Oddly enough, winter is the best season for lugging a printer around because there is always a heated tent or trailer nearby so we can setup our business without problems.

During the summer events, we often have to work from our cars or minivan. This is far from perfect and we also get a lot of dust on and inside the printer. Unfortunately, For now, we shoot mainly snowmobile, motocross and ATV races and our crowds are not really techno savvy so they tend to shy away from online ordering.

Unless we come up with a really good idea, like our own heated/air conditioned trailer, I guess we'll have to forget compulsive buying and target another crowd.

6. Well I believe it came down to logistics cost of equipment (viewing stations printer or multiple printers to keep up with demand) Cost of personal to man the equipment and process the orders, transact cash and such those cost outweighed the $$$ brought in.

7. I use Canon i9900's for my onsite printing ...

Did a little research and just liked the quality that they put out and having various sizing options helps as well.

Thanks,
    Gary

8. Raul_T

Raul_T

Apr 29, 2007
    DFW, Texas
    Thanks Gary. I did some reading on that printer last night and it does appear to be a good one.

9. I think that the only problem at this point is that its discontinued and is going to be harder and harder to find. I have 3 of them right now and apart from them needing some cleaning, they are running like champs.

Gary