On the boardwalk today (9)

Real Name
Alex
I spent sometime on the boardwalk on the beach at 30th street (Miami Beach) today:

[deleted - crappy anyway]

156698327-L.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

156698331-L.jpg

156698333-L.jpg

156698343-L.jpg

156698360-L.jpg

156698349-L.jpg

The Look

156698353-L.jpg

The Stretch

156698367-L.jpg

All with D80 and 70-300 at around 200mm. Some crop and a big crop on the last one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Real Name
Alex
I am surprised that in almost one full day after posting, I have had not one comment!

{RANT}
Having put the "request C&C" icon I expected at least some comments and criticisms, especially the latter. How else will I learn what am I doing wrong?

Street photography is hard as it is. I have some doubts as to the quality of the work. If I knew what - if anythinig - was wrong with them, I'd be able to learn and try to fix it or improve.

Obviously I cannot ask for more than volunteer comments. Nobody is paid to do criticism. I do offer praise and C&C online when I feel a photo needs some improvement. At least I try to be helpful. Unfortunately my photos do not seem to be of much interest to the community at large.

Maybe I should not try my hand at street photography and go back to birds. At least when I was shooting birds (ex. Merritt IV) I did get some C&C.
{/RANT}

There. I feel better already.

B

bob swanson

Hi Alex

Yesterday was a busy day. I had my wife doing a wedding and I was at the beach all day play volleyball. Real busy.
Just a couple of questions. What lens you were using and what was going on with the young lady talking to the guy in the white shirt.
www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com

I was at Harry's for a bbq yesterday alex:>))))) yummy

I am the one that is not thrilled about b/w, remember??
I would not know how to critique b/w

I don't recognize that miami board walk. Things have changed alot since i lived there.

I will say you got some interesting looking folks:>))))

I was sleeping on the sofa in the basement. I like the second, fourth, fifth and seventh shots the best......I think the is too much going on in the others for my small brain.

The look from the woman with the stroller in the seventh shot is neat, also the way her clothing contrast so strongly to the other colors in the frame is cool.

I like them all, nice work,
Mike

Real Name
Alex
I was sleeping on the sofa in the basement. I like the second, fourth, fifth and seventh shots the best......I think the is too much going on in the others for my small brain.

The look from the woman with the stroller in the seventh shot is neat, also the way her clothing contrast so strongly to the other colors in the frame is cool.

I like them all, nice work,
Mike

The "look" is an interesting story. The lady with the black head cover and the long dress and baby carriage is an Orthodox Jew. She gave her a very disapproving look while walking by. :smile:

The boardwalk was crowded and I had to reject several shots as too busy. That was one of my doubts. Maybe I should go on a less-busy day and try to catch more subjects individually. Thanks.

Sorry alex , I guess most people were doing cookouts or something yesterday (I know I was) .

Im not a great street shooter, I like it ,but am not very good at it . Im timid when it comes to photographing strangers on the street.

But I would try some different angles , looks like all these were shot standing up. And although it may not always be possible try to get somthing going on besides people walking ( I tend to do this alot too , because alot of times theres just not much going on).

Im sure some better street shotters will chime in when they see them.

Real Name
Alex
What lens you were using and what was going on with the young lady talking to the guy in the white shirt.
www.bsvirginian.smugmug.com

All of these were shot with my el-cheapo 70-300 at between 160 to 220mm or so. The young lady was this guy's girlfriend. They embraced a couple of times. She was smoking a lot and yapping a lot. I was too far to hear anything so I don't know.

Do they work? Is the conversion tonality OK?

One of my main question sis about DOF. In some of them you can see the DOF in the fence posts. Should I have used more or less of it?

Real Name
Alex
I would try some different angles , looks like all these were shot standing up. And although it may not always be possible try to get somthing going on besides people walking ( I tend to do this alot too , because alot of times theres just not much going on).

Yes Biggs. All with a monopod set at eye level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest threads

Top Bottom